• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's your favorite Kata/s?

AustinG010

At first I thought Wankan was the same as our Ennpi kata, but looked it up and found out that it corresponds to what we call Matsukaze, and Ennpi is Wanshu. I was all excited that Sensei 8 was extolling Ennpi/Wanshu, which is one of my favorites. We actually teach Matsukaze around 8th kyu level, but then we test on it again later (much improved, hopefully). I am planning on using it as one of my ik-kyu kata.

The funny thing is, I never really cared about Matsukaze before, but lately have been appreciating it more. It is one of our important kata, so I have to know it well, and there are some basics aspects that I particularly need, such as keeping my center low on the turning into neko ashi dachi, for one. Not to mention, anything that involves standing on one foot for any length of time is still a challenge for me. :)

Anyway, I know it's a cliche, but it's funny how as we learn more we appreciate things that we previously couldn't even see. There is more to this kata than I had previously thought!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sensei said that the only thing wrong when I do Heian Nidan is half of my back stances are perfect and the other half is bad lol

My sensei said that the only thing wrong when I do Heian Nidan is half of my back stances are perfect and the other half is bad lol

Which half? Right side or left side? Which side do you favor more than the other?

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

you know the psrt where you kick and land into a back stance with a shuto? once I get to those three shutos that's where I mess em up at

you know the psrt where you kick and land into a back stance with a shuto? once I get to those three shutos that's where I mess em up at

you mean the part where you yoko geri keage (side snap kick) and backfist same time then go into the forward shuto (not a 45 degree one)?

yeah i know it.....backstance (kokutsu dachi) is hard for some people I remember when we was just little white belts and learning kokutsu dachi and my co - white belt had problems with it (i still wish to this day sensei would have helped him with that, he helped me with learning yoko geri keage physically with my leg movements but not him with his backstance)

btw Bob-sensei, Heian Yondan? Uggg, I got to learn Heian Sandan first when i make orange belt probably in august

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Yes, I know which one's you're referring to. Your transition must be smooth. Keep your hips level by not going up and down excessively when you shift from one back stance to another. Remember, your heels must line up and that your weight must be properly distributed and to keep a good posture. Don't jerk around when you come to the end of the transition. Everything starts and ends at the same time. Smooth transition...smooth transition...

Now, don't think about the darn things....just do them without any thought and let your muscle memory take over. Smooth transition...smooth transition...smooth transition....smooth transition...

:)

btw Bob-sensei, Heian Yondan? Uggg, I got to learn Heian Sandan first when i make orange belt probably in august.

Heian Sandan is so easy, so simple to learn/execute. You will be absolutely fine! Don't let the middle part of Heian Sandan frustrate you, it's EASY! Work the kata and don't let the kata work you!

:)