• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I stumble at times while spinning.

the best way to rectify this is to practice 'contract and expand'

example being: on the 4th count of heian shodan you spin right? well just before it ((punching chudan age uki)) bring your feet together andbend you knees slightly for balance turn then go into gadambari(( picturing it))

Here is a Youtube of Nidan for you ((notice at the very begining he brings both feet together. That is called contrating. do that be for you turn))

I meant spinning the big spin after the Nukite in Heian nidan when my feet are kind of wider apart and going right into the shuto. My shodan says I rise up too much when you're supoposed to stay at same height. I find it hard to spin that much when my feet are that spaced apart without rising up a bit to keep balance.

btw I'm ok with heian shodan. Maybe its just where I only been doing nidan for a month and still getting used to it.

Thanks for the help though. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I practice Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), my favourite kata from that system is Pinan Godan & Wankan.

Both very good kata! Wankan in particular is a favourite of mine. Obviously in Shotokan we have Heian instead of Pinan, but I'm assuming the godan kata is the same in both?

I love Naihanchi as it is the kata that I have spent the most time practising and I have the body shape to make it look fairly good (I always think you need to be short and powerful to really look rooted in this kata). I also spend a lot of time with Chinto and Bassai, in fact I love all the Wado kata apart from the dreaded Kushanku. Kushanku took me so long to learn that I learned to loathe it before I learned to love it.

Tough one.

I like Pinan Godan, Yondan, and Kushanku.

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

• 2 years later...

absolute favorite:

Sanchin

Be your own light, your own refuge. Believe only that which you test for yourself. Do not accept authority merely because it comes from a great man, or is written in a sacred book, for truth is different for each man and woman. -- Buddha