• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

this friday I'll be testing for my first stripe or for my yellow belt. I'm not sure if it will be stripe or belt lol, could anyone explain what a test is like?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
this friday I'll be testing for my first stripe or for my yellow belt. I'm not sure if it will be stripe or belt lol, could anyone explain what a test is like?

In my dojo you start with a white belt and you need to obtain 5 stripes before you can test for your yellow belt.

Stripe 1 - kata 1

Stripe 2 - kata 2

Stripe 3 - 5 one-step defenses

Stripe 4 - kata 3

Stripe 5 - kata 4

After you get your required stripes, Sensei tells you when you will test for your next belt. Then after class, in front of 4 to 6 blacks belts & Sensei, you test for your yellow belt. You are expected to know all the proper terminology and be able to demonstrate all the forms (kata) along with the one-steps. Assuming you are able to demonstrate everything you get your next belt. In my dojo it takes about 6 to 7 months to get your yellow belt.

Good luck!

Interesting. How many belts do you have before black?

I'm not sure if your asking me but....

white - 5 stripes, usually a month between stripes & another month before belt test.

yellow - 4 stripes, usually a month between stripes & another month before belt test.

green - 4 stripes. I think once you get to green it takes 2 months between stripes.

blue - 4 stripes

brown [low] - not sure of the requirements but one-step defenses include knife attacks. I believe these one-steps are developed by the student and then approved by Sensei.

brown [high] - not sure of the requirements but one-step defenses include stick attacks. I believe these one-steps are developed by the student and then approved by Sensei.

black - ???

When I tested for gup (kyu) promotions, they contained performances of forms as a group, one-step sparring exercises with a partner, self-defense applications (in Soo Bahk Do they're defenses against wrist grabs) that were also with a partner, certain kicks (as it's a kicking art), callouts of a series of moves (such as a middle block, then a reverse punch) as a group, and free sparring. There were also questions asked individually about the art, some being historical and others regarding terminology.

Good luck, Austin! :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yeah. You're Shotokan right? I am too.

since I had my yellow belt test a little more than a month ago, I wrote what my own test was like here:

http://www.karateforums.com/passed-my-yellow-belt-grading-vt38206.html

It might help.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.