• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling question... I'm out weighed!!!

Ok, I have an update!

After listening to everyone’s advice I practiced dropping down for a double leg take down. I watched several videos online and I felt like I had a good understanding of how to move in, disguise my take down, drop down and hook the legs.

During the MMA arts class I was matched up with the big guy I’ve been trying to figure out how to beat. We started from a standing position and moved around each other, more or less boxing. With my hands up protecting my head, I move in and shift my shoulders like I’m going to punch… then BAM I drop my weight down to one knee while keeping my hands up… as soon as my knee hits the mat I hook my arms around his thighs and my head his tight against the outside of his thigh… the instant I have his legs hooked I’m thinking drive him to the floor… I got him! Then it happened… he squatted down. Any momentum I had is gone. I start to push forward using the leg that was straight and I try to drive my shoulder into him while pulling his legs to me… but by now his hands are on my shoulders and he sort of does a squatted sprawl, if that makes sense. Now I got nothing, I’m being driven into the mat face first and he is coming down on top of me… sigh. After class I ask him if I did the double leg take down correct and said “yes, you had both legs hooked”.

Soooooo I’m back to square one and now he is looking for me to shoot for his legs (every try after my first did not yield the same results as the first time). My question is, what is the counter to his squat? This guy never shared that piece of info with me. :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, you've got to learn some proper grappling. This is what I mean when I say that something cant be learned off the internet. If his "squat" was a proper sprawl, accept that you're not going to learn any tricks online to beat him, as he obviously has a bit more grappling experience than you do.

If he simply squatted down, you didnt execute your double leg properly.

Theres so many variables without video and without face to face instruction. Im willing to be you threw a horrible double leg attempt- one that looked more a tackle than a proper shot- nothing against you, but you had no idea what it was a few days ago- it takes more than a few days to develop a proper shot.

Again, strive to learn proper grappling from a proper instructor. And just because someone claims to know it doesnt mean they do.

Im willing to bet you threw a horrible double leg attempt- one that looked more a tackle than a proper shot.
:D

:D

.... tell me how you really feel.

I hear ya. I should clarify my intent. I don't want to come across like I'm going to pick up a book, read it & apply a technique that others have trained countless hours to achieve. Thinking that I could do that [& I know I can't] would be disrespectful to anyone that trains in the art. With that being said, I'm the type of person that tries to diagnose the reason my dryer won't work before I call a repairman.

This guy that my posts reference does have experience. He's a 3rd degree BB in karate with 5 years experience in BBJ and I'm a yellow belt with 8 months experience in karate & 2 months of MMA... [LOL - that looks ever worse when you see it spelled out like that - LOL]. At this stage of my MMA experience we are still learning the basics of the basics but at the end of each class we do a low intensity stand & fight, then down to the floor drill. I'm always paired with this big guy because I can't dominate him with my conditioning and height / reach like I can with some of the other new-bi students. Let’s face it, no matter how good you are, if you run out gas during the match you are in trouble.

This guy lets me work through the techniques we are learning however at the end of session he always gives me a burst of intensity. Needless to say, this burst of intensity knocks me on my @@@. So after class I come here and try to utilize the collective experiences of this forum to plan my next attack / defend drill with this guy.

Getting back to your post, if I had to guess, this guy did some technique to counter what I did. I’m sure my double leg take down wasn’t that good but this guy NEVER felt like he was off balance to me. I assume he didn’t explain what he did because he doesn’t want a new-bi “looking head”…. but I just can’t help myself. The thing is, this guy doesn’t seem to make a mistake. I’ve had other BBs kick the crap out me but I managed to get a tap out here aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there… not with this guy. Don’t get me wrong, I love it. It makes me what to absorb as much as I can and give it another Try!

Toptomcat – we don’t wear gi tops. Usually gi pants and t-shirt.

Considering all the factors you've laid out for us- you're facing a vastly stronger, stockier, more experienced grappler with your only advantage being four inches in height- then yes, I can pretty much confirm that no advice any of us are going to be able to give you will make enough difference to matter. If you want to be able to outgrapple him, train grappling more: keep going to the MMA class but find something more specific in the area like BJJ, sambo, judo, or wrestling and start attending it as well. That's really the only thing that will do you a lick of good- just coming up with new strategies or techniques to try won't do anything meaningful under your current circumstances.