• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Grappling question... I'm out weighed!!!

Hip tosses will always be out of the question without a significant difference in skill against someone who's shorter and heavier than you are, because to do them properly you need to get your hips lower than his- and his hips start lower than yours. Look into some judo foot sweeps, particularly osoto gari and sasae tsurikomi ashi.

Thanks! i will try to find some google videos that show these techniques. Ahhhhh, I love the internet.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hip tosses will always be out of the question without a significant difference in skill against someone who's shorter and heavier than you are, because to do them properly you need to get your hips lower than his- and his hips start lower than yours. Look into some judo foot sweeps, particularly osoto gari and sasae tsurikomi ashi.

I've had just four classes in the new martial art I'm studying, "Universal Warrior," and Sensei had me do O Soto Gari with him. I'd been introduced to it by my Soo Bahk Do teacher and a Judo friend, but Sensei is not only 6' (to my 5'6"), but he weighs 275. I had no trouble getting my hip lower than his, but I was still surprised at how, even though he let me perform without resisting me, he went right down. Sensei told me it was due to correct technique.

I found Sasae Tsuri-Komi Ashi on YouTube:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Switching levels will help you out a lot. Start letting go of the shoulders, dropping your center and shoot the double leg. There are plenty of good sources of info on how to do it.

Careful about just randomly getting it on you tube. There's alot of poor technique out there. Get with a friend who wrestles. For a tretise that's pretty good, Randy Couture's "Wrestling for Fighting" is pretty good.

But yeah, drop center and shoot. Doubles and singles. Then, when he's thinking about his feet you can look to go Greko and work the upper body.

I am 5'3", 165lbs. I usually roll with guys that are huge, muscular, mma guys. The best way to win in a power struggle while standing is by letting them over power you. when they push you pull, when they pull you push. the resulting effect is that they are always off balance and when you establish a great base you are now the stronger. You should try instead of doing double hooks, which I only find those good for suplexes, double leg or single leg sweeps, or when you are able to push them up against something, try holding a hand behind the head and use it to move him off his CG (center of gravity). It's all about feeling your opponent out. the more they struggle the less you have to.

Thanks again guys!

Does anybody have any drills that they use to practice double leg takes downs? I'm a tall guy so 99% of the time I'm going to have to get low on a shorter opponent.

The sprawl is your friend. Don't let him get the underhooks. If/ when he gets the double under, drive his chin away from you and attempt to get one or both on him. Also, learn to lower your level. Don't expect to stand straight up and be able to beat him.

When I occasionally get the hooks under him i never feel like he is off balance. If get the hooks and I try to put my leg behind his for a trip but I don't seem to be able to get the momentum to drive him back. Same situation, I tried turn to the side for a hip toss and ended up pulling most of the muscles in my lower back. Same situation, I tried to pull him forward with the idea of a chest to chest body slam (I know, I know) and he ended up landing on top of me.

Any suggestions?

Yeah sure. When you get the double unders, this is just the beginning. That goes for any grip really. The next step is to get your hips into the action. Start with your underhooks high and your hands clasped, then you need to drop your center (leaving the underhooks high) and drive you hips toward and under your opponent. While you do this, the opponent is going to move (otherwise you'll just lift him up and slam him down easily). The key is to use his movement to get momentum, don't try to create it yourself.

If you have the unders and start to lower and he steps back a little, trying to pull away, it's time to trip the leg that remains (or drop on the single leg takedown), When he pulls it away, time to hip throw. If he drives into you, you can lift turn and trip for a suplex type throw. Obviously, there are a number of possibilities. The key is to learn and master at least one option for each possible reaction. Once you've drilled them all alot, your body will begin to react more easily.

Good luck.

edit: Rickson Gracie talks alot about making a connection with your opponent and keeping a connection at all times. That's an excellent way to think of it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Double leg practice-

Start in your stance.

Step forward with your lead foot (this will go between his feet).

Step deep.

Drop to that knee (you'll note how this drives you forward).

Allow the back foot to drag behind you.

Keep back/ neck straight while doing this.

Pull drag leg up behind and step through with it to the foot (will be kneeling).

Stand.

Repeat with other side.

Now you've got your duck walk on. Work this till it's smooth. Then start working with a partner. Remember the step has to be deep, that and the knee drop will drive your partner back and give you momentum.

Your hands will check the back of his knees and your head will go to the outside of his legs. This way you can cut the angle and the end of the shot (by driving your head to his leg). He should dump kind of to the side.

Timing and penetration then become paramount and that you get by drilling and live take down work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

While most of the advice is good on here, the problem is that no one is demonstrating for you- if you've never done a double leg you're not going to do it just because someone tells you what you should do.

Heres simple enough advice- try to go two hands to your opponents head (ala a thai clinch) and try your hardest to break his posture and snap him straight to the floor (hence the name, snapdown). Again all you're doing is two hands to his head and keep pulling it down and try to faceplant him to the ground.

Your opponent wont actually faceplant (if hes smart) he'll post his hands on the floor for base. When he does, try to run and spin to his back to attack the turtle position.

Simplest advice I can give