• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Basic combinations - wado ryu

Robbo

Hi,

I have started karate for around four months now and am waiting to be graded for my first belt. I have one problem during my basic combination's and although it is simple i cannot get my head round it. I have problems with my turns (Mawette) at the end of the hall.

i carry out 4/5 basic combination's up the hall but when it comes to turn and go up back down the hall again i get confused to which turn and block i should perform.

At the moment i think i am turning using mawatte jodan uke for my punching combos unless opposite leg to arm i use the gedan bari and for my kicking combo i mawatte and return to fighting stance.

Forgive me for my lack of karate terminology but believe me i am learning!

Could someone with greater knowledge please enlighten silly old me. :-?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it is specific to the school...you may want to ask some one at the school or your sensei. It has been a few years but we always turned with gedan barai at my dojo unless specified otherwise at the time.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hello,

The "typical" wado syllabi tend to utilse Jodanuke from Junzuki position and gedan-barrai from a gyaku poistion - simply because it is a training aid to correct movement.

You mention about combinations up and down the hall - do you mean this (ie stringing kick with a punch followed by another kick etc)?

This is usually done in Hanmi Kamae (half stance) and as a result part of the less formal approach in Kihon. In this instant there would be no prescribed upper or lower block.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

the kicking techniques such has mae geri and roundhouse or snap punch /mae geri combo all end with turn (mawatte) and hanmi kamae ready to go up the hall again. i get that one (i hope)

all kicks = mawatte into hanmi kamae

i was just unsure if the junzuki ended with a mawatte jodan uke or gedan bari and if a surikomi (one step) effects this at all.

perhaps it is something school related. I just wont see the sensei till next week and i would like to practice :)

i understand the answer to the question above answer the other questions too. ( i hope)

many thanks for your time. :)

Hi Robbo,

Always must seek clarification from your sensei. Forums like these a great to get other peoples viewpoints but its your sensei's that counts.

In our dojo, all turns during techniques performed in hanmi kamae are executed with a transfer of the guard - as you say -straight into hanmi kamae again - rather than a formal block.

In Ido kihon (stepping basics) however, we use Jodanukes and Gedanbarai etc when we turn - (but nothing to stop you doing any other varients etc.). So it’s important to establish what type of basics you are doing here.

Also, remember that an important part of Wado Ido Kihon is "Kette-Junzuki" etc. These are in essence renraku waza (combination techniques) performed in Junzukidachi (not Hanmi Kamae). With these you should be turning with a formal block on the end (Jodanuke etc.).

Can I ask - where are you based Robbo and what Wado group do you train with.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.