• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't know what I am going to do...

Pajarito21

O.k. first a little back ground then I will post the question. I am a student in college and just started wado not to long ago. It has taken me about a year to get my blue belt. I really love the style and really want to get to black belt. Here is the problem... I am going to graduate in a year and will probably be moving due to the fact that my job will make me. There aren't to many dojo's in the states that I know of for Wado. Here is the question... What should I do when I go somewhere where there isn't Wado? I really don't want to start all over in a new style, is there a style that is close to Wado? Am I going to lose all my rank and have to wait forever for another chance to get to black belt?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It all depends on the style and the school. When we have had students move from Shotokan into Wado they have generally started a belt or two lower to give them a chance to catch up as they have usually been out of karate for a year or two. Some schools do make you start back at a white belt, either because they have very strict grading principles, the two styles are very different (stances, kata, terminology etc.), to stop other students from having a crack at the new kid or just because the instructor wants the income from grading fees (not likely to happen in any reputable school).

I am looking to go from Wado to Shotokan and from what I have read the change isn't all that much - stances are deeper, there is less Ju Jitsu influence and some of the kata are slightly different. There would probably be more of a change to another style such as Goju-ryu or Shito-ryu but I have never practised enough of either to make a seriously informed comment. Just be aware that dropping into another style in a brown belt or so and really not knowing the syllabus or techniques of the style all that well might cause some resentment in students that have really struggled to get to that level themselves. It is something you will need to discuss with your future instructor.

I'd say just keep training hard while you can. Knowledge and ability are the important things. Other things will sort themselves out in time. Don't worry about belts per se... even if you have to start something else as a junior, another year or two spent on basic stances and techniques is only wasted if your heart or mind's not in it - keep focused on perfection and there's always work to do. If your interest in martial arts is the kind that will last decades, then finding a good school afterwards is more important than how quickly they "integrate" you at a rank you're chuffed about.

Cheers,

Tony

I'd say that time is on your side. You have a year of Wado experience, and another year for further growth. If you do find a Wado school, you'll be tested by its sensei as to where you'll fit in. If you don't find Wado but another art--such as Shotokan, as Bob referred to--you'll have the advantage of two years of martial arts background to become proficient more rapidly than someone starting from scratch.

Many people find themselves moving into a new martial art for a variety of reasons, and the sensei at the new school will want to know your experience anyway.

For me, there was no problem in a double-promotion from 10th to 8th gup (kyu), and I kept on track for testing by working at it, not just because a certain amount of time went by. I understand that you want to earn your black belt, and it will happen within a reasonable time by your dedication.

All your hard work in Wado, Pajarito, what you've done and will do for another year, is an investment you will always carry with you.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

O.k. first a little back ground then I will post the question. I am a student in college and just started wado not to long ago. It has taken me about a year to get my blue belt. I really love the style and really want to get to black belt. Here is the problem... I am going to graduate in a year and will probably be moving due to the fact that my job will make me. There aren't to many dojo's in the states that I know of for Wado. Here is the question... What should I do when I go somewhere where there isn't Wado? I really don't want to start all over in a new style, is there a style that is close to Wado? Am I going to lose all my rank and have to wait forever for another chance to get to black belt?

Have you tried contacting Bob Nash?

He is the chief instructor of US Wadokai and knows all of the right people around the states.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

I've heard that Wado and Shotokan are pretty close, and there are a lot of Shotokan dojos out there. I've heard that Tang Soo Do forms are close to Shotokan kata, so even a drastic change like that might not be too bad. I'd guess that changing from a hard style to a soft style might be tougher than hard to hard.

As far as rank goes, it depends on the dojo and style. Some will make you start all over. Some might even let you keep your old rank as a probationary rank until you're ready for an equivalency test. Even if you start all over, your experience could enable you to progress more quickly. I remember a Kung Fu San Soo instructor once telling me he liked training former Shotokan students because their basics were so solid.

I know a guy that switched from a Shotokan based style to Shito Ryu. He was allowed to wear his brown belt (3rd kyu) as a probationary rank, but I think it took him over a year before he learned enough to take his equivalency test to be awarded his brown belt in Shito Ryu.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Wadoryu is a style that connects shotokan karate and shindo yoshin-ryu-jujutsua. Though, I think wado is more self defence as shotokan is competition oriented, I might be wrong on that. :-?

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Wadoryu is a style that connects shotokan karate and shindo yoshin-ryu-jujutsua. Though, I think wado is more self defence as shotokan is competition oriented, I might be wrong on that. :-?

I'm not sure I would agree that Wado is more about self defence. Equally, I am sure there are many Shotoka who would argue that Shotokan was not competition orientated. Naturally it will vary from Dojo to Dojo however.

As far as the Shotokan connection and the "Jujutsu" element is concerned - Hironori Otsuka was a highly graded teacher (menkyo Kaiden) in Shindo Yoshin Ryu well before he started training with the likes of Funakoshi, Mabuni and Motobu.

He created Wado out of his SYR knowledge and experience, but utilised processes and methodologies (mainly Kihon and Kata) found as a result of his studies in Okinwan karate - but the modus operandum is different - in terms of the katas and the principles of movement etc. Also you have to bear in mind that the karate practiced by Funakoshi back at the turn of the last century - is a country mile from the Shotokan practiced in many Dojo today.

Also; shindo Yoshin Ryu is clasified as a Nihon Koryu Bujutsu - and as such the Jujutsu element is a far cry from the sport / self protection Jujutsu that most people see in their minds eye when the word is mentioned.

Personally, I love Wado with all of its idiosyncrasies - and would do my best to avoid swapping to another style, however strangely enough I am drawn to Kyokushin. It’s the complete antithesis of Wado, but I think that would make it easier in a way, as I would not have to completely unlearn one thing in order to learn something that was similar but different.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Speaking as someone who's changed karate styles three times, grading from white belt each time, it's not really a problem. You learn all sorts of interesting things about how and why the different styles of karate do things, giving you a better picture of karate as a whole and giving you a better appreciation for the reasons behind minute features of your technique. And- provided you keep an open mind and try to learn the new system rather than struggling to impose Wado on it- enough will be similar that if you're a good Wado karateka, you'll be a good karateka just about anywhere if you put enough effort into it.