• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I found an Aikido dojo 10 minutes from my home, with a branch 10 minutes from my job! It sounds like this might be a match made for me, since membership will allow me to attend either dojo, and I can just go near my job when I'm stuck working late.

I really don't know anything about this style, other than what I've just read on their website https://www.aikidocenters.com

Does this place look good? What should I expect from an Aikido class? Are the workouts tough? Just tell me anything you can about this style please!

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I only studied Aikido for about 6 months, a couple years back. My impression is it's got some very neat combat concepts, but because of the emphasis on cooperation during practice and practicing defense against unrealistic attacks, a lot of senior aikidoka couldn't use their skills reliably in a street fight. They might work brilliantly if everything just happened to fall into place, or it all might fall apart. In that respect, I'd say it's a bit like studying judo - you learn to deal with certain situations, but blocking a trained punch or kick isn't your speciality, nor is grabbing someone without leaving yourself vulnerable to a poke in the eye, but if you're lucky you get your throw in first anyway. I'm happy to believe Ueshiba was a terrific fighter - perhaps one of the best ever - but I'm not sure the system he left behind effectively trains people to reach his skill level.

Physically, it's not known for being particularly strenuous: while some schools do train intensely enough to be a great workout, other schools adopt a more "senior-citizens doing tai-chi to music" pace. Sitting in seiza position (knees together in front, sitting on your heels) can be tough at first ;-).

You can expect a lot of rolling practice, joint locking, possibly some breathing exercises.

Anyway, best idea is to visit the dojo.

Cheers,

Tony

I would generally agree with tonydee's comments, and add specifically that the issue with aikido is a lack of resistant randori a la judo. Some schools of aikido, like Yoshinkan, do train with resistant randori and end up with a perfectly practical fighting method. Most do not, and end up with a lot of well-trained movements but no context for them or idea for how to unify them into a functional whole.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience in Aikido thus far has been much the same. There are some good concepts in there, but I think that the training methods are in need of an overhaul, especially when it comes to the paired work. There is just so much involved with blending into the techniques and getting the proper motions down that it really escalates the learning curve of the style.

Now, if you do enjoy learning different ways to move, and seeing how the physics can apply, then you will really enjoy it. Also, if you just like to explore different Martial Arts, you'll enjoy it.

A major problem that I have seen in Aikido is that its philosophies and mine are just about complete opposites of each other. But, it makes for interesting insights into how I would do things differently.

I will also agree that the ukes tend to expect a bit too much cooperation, at least at my dojo. I tend to walk out of quite a few techniques, even when some of the higher ranks are performing them on me. But, it could be a bad habit of the dojo I attend, too.

I have done some aikido although not necessarily in an aikido school. My previous instructor hybrided it with shotokan, tai chi and wing chun although we essentially did shotokan.

We tended to use the aikido stuff for break falls. Defenses against pushing and generally they grab you, you hit them and put a lock on type stuff.

Its a good art but again everything is about getting a good teacher so check it out and make sure the teacher can make it work.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

We tended to use the aikido stuff for break falls.

*Wince*

Aikido breakfalls are great for throws that exert a lot of their energy parallel to the ground or horizontal/across- you roll and pop right back up. Aikido does a lot of those. For throws that potato-sack you downward, into the ground- like a well-done ippon seoinage or a lot of other judo techniques- an aikido breakfall will be only marginally better than no breakfall, if that. And it's very difficult to tell the two apart until you're in the air and falling in such a way that you have to break it.

I don't know, I've been pretty happy with the whole break fall method. Regardless of background or specific art, the idea of controlling breath and stabilizing the core while counterforcing in a manner that won't dislocate your sholder on contact is pretty useful.

I've had success with them in aiki-style thorws, body contact throws, wrestling takedowns and the occassional inadvertent "other" contact with the ground.

If you're training for sustained ground work, you'll have to get used to retractig your limbs into more of a ball position, but this will be fairly intuitive after you've started.

Like i said, just from my experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never practiced aikido. I heard some positive opinions about but I can't tell personally what I think about it.

I heard that there are two kinds of aikido. One you can use in competition and the second one that is traditional and much more dangerous. Maybe it is true, but I was never interested in aikido either.

Listening to other people's opinion will not make you certain about aikido. You must go yourself to the dojo and try it.

Greetings

John Steczko

John The Burn Belly Fat Guy

• 5 weeks later...

Aikido (contrary to popular belief apparently) is truly a very powerful art, for those who are commenting and saying it is impractical (no offense to any posters) they probably did not fully appreciate all the values and slight details that come with learning this art. In the beginning it may seem slow and impractical, but all of this is just practice for a real combat scenario. I have personally taken on two bullies larger then I am at once using purely aikido and I could throw them with ease. Try out this art, but only if you have the patience for it.

I am not a fighter, I am a guardian.