• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I need a change - Amateur Shotokan Karate Association?

Spodo Komodo

I have been away from Karate for a while and have suffered some injuries in the intervening years which mean that I need to start slowly and work my way back up to a reasonable standard again. I have been dreading going back to my old club where I could not live up to the standard of a shodan any more so I have been thinking of starting again in a new style. The more I think about it the more attractive it becomes, broadening my experience, learning to be a beginner again, learning a few new techniques and kata, losing any arrogance I may have picked up on the way and making new friends.

There is a local club that is affiliated to the Amateur Shotokan Karate Association run by Ben Brown (5th Dan I think) overseen by the English Karate Federation. I have done a quick net trawl and nothing unpleasant has turned up so it seems to be OK. Does anyone have any experience of any of these organisations?

Cheers

Bob

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well.....IMHO, I say forget rank and train. So if you like(d) your old dojo / style, why not go back and just start anew? If you want to change styles, perhaps just to do something new and fresh, then go ahead. In either case, Karate sure does get in one's blood, huh?

Well.....IMHO, I say forget rank and train. So if you like(d) your old dojo / style, why not go back and just start anew?

Well that is part of the problem, I want to be able to spend some time with a good teacher learning to kick properly again with a graunchy knee rather than spend most of my time teaching Pinan Nidan to kids. I enjoy teaching but until I am back to a reasonable standard myself I don't feel that I should be showing others. When you get your body involuntarily re-shaped by a moving car it can really screw up your technique but sitting here waiting until I lose two stones and my knee mends will mean I will still be sat here the day I die. I need to get out and train but build up slowly. I suppose I will sign up for the Shotokan class after Easter (Tai Chi gradings at the moment) and see how it goes.

Bob

ASKA looks to me like a genuine organisation so good luck with it.

I also made the transition from Wado to Shotokan (with an 18 year break in between :) ) and I couldn't be happier.

Just watch out for the fact that Pinan Nidan = Heian Shodan and Soto Uke = Uchi Uke :roll:

Cheers Barry, I am looking forward to seeing how many differences there are between the two styles. One thing I am apprehensive about is the depth of stances, I have spent a lot of time snapping into stances at the typically shorter Wado length - it will feel rather odd for a while I'm sure.

Hey Bob, where abouts in the East Midlands you from? I'm from the Leicester area and know of a few clubs around here..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When you get your body involuntarily re-shaped by a moving car it can really screw up your technique....

As it happens, heh, same happened to me. Only, in my case, it was a heavy truck ;-(

Just watch out for the fact that Pinan Nidan = Heian Shodan and Soto Uke = Uchi Uke :roll:

That's a very good point to bring up!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hey Bob, where abouts in the East Midlands you from?

I'm just north of Derby. I was travelling into Nottingham, Sheffield and Derby for martial arts classes but then someone said there was a good Shotokan club that meets within walking distance of where I live. Just goes to show that you can't find everything on the interweb, sometimes it pays to actually go to the leisure centre and read the posters!

Hey Bob, where abouts in the East Midlands you from?

I'm just north of Derby. I was travelling into Nottingham, Sheffield and Derby for martial arts classes but then someone said there was a good Shotokan club that meets within walking distance of where I live. Just goes to show that you can't find everything on the interweb, sometimes it pays to actually go to the leisure centre and read the posters!

Ah ok, I know more of southern East Midlands, sort of Leicestershire, Northamptonshire area. Could tell you of some good TKD clubs around Derby if you're interested :brow: Good that you've found something to check out though.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius