• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying karate next week.

explosive_power

Hello people of this forum,

Im taking up karate next week. And they spar like the SEA games Karate.

I think the dojo is focused on sport karate.

I've also been boxing for 3 years. And I want to try something new.

Is this a good switch? or maybe something different?

I also like the competition on Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you've boxed, enjoyed it, and been at all good at it, in my opinion you're unlikely to enjoy training at a dojo focusing mostly on stop-and-start point karate. On the other hand, your boxing experience will give you more context to evaluate their stuff than most new students, and you do seem to know what you're getting into: I say give it a try, but don't give up on all karate if this particular dojo rubs you the wrong way, as I suspect it might.

@Toptomcat:Yeah, I've really enjoyed boxing. Especially the sparring sessions.

Really sharpens reflexes and gets you really used to hits in the face and body.

I've seen the SEA games style sparring that they use. It is pretty odd to score a point then stop. But I'll give it a try.

I like sports aspect because of competition.

and you can't hit full force right? hmm.

I'll give it a shot. If the training is good, then It can make up for the sparring. :)

It's cool if they don't want it full contact. But It would be better to score points and not stop every time a fighter makes a point. Like TKD.

but oh well, seems okay.

@Karatequeen: Im interested in Karate to learn the art. And hopefully join competitions. Because I really like competition. :)

I hope I enjoy Karate as much as boxing :)

I mirror Toptomcat’s post.

I will be interested to hear how do with “no contact to the head” rules. In my opinion, sport sparring techniques will really contradict your boxing instinct. When you get in close and your opponent drops his hands to protect the point area, your instinct will tell you knock-out punch to the head.... then you will hear, disqualified... get off the floor.

As a person that enjoys competition and the personal challenges of training I think you will like MA training however you may have to find a dojo that trains to fight as opposed to trains to point spar.

I will be interested to hear how do with “no contact to the head” rules. In my opinion, sport sparring techniques will really contradict your boxing instinct. When you get in close and your opponent drops his hands to protect the point area, your instinct will tell you knock-out punch to the head.... then you will hear, disqualified... get off the floor.

As a person that enjoys competition and the personal challenges of training I think you will like MA training however you may have to find a dojo that trains to fight as opposed to trains to point spar.

It's not that hard to get used to not hiting head strikes. And also, I think it's good to learn that there is a lot more of places to drop the opponent than head. :karate:

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

It's not that hard to get used to not hiting head strikes. And also, I think it's good to learn that there is a lot more of places to drop the opponent than head. :karate:

Very true. I'm still bitter about getting DQed at my first tournament for a throwing a right hook to the head.

Seriously though, it seems like it would be very hard for a boxer not to take a head shot when its presented on a silver platter - only my opinion. Sure there more places to drop a person but point sparring allows one to guard a "point area" around the chest. My limited boxing exposure left me with the impression of maintaining a low chin & keeping my hands up to protect my head at all times. To me, point sparring felt like abandoning the fighting instincts that I've worked so hard to develop... but again, I'm bitter.

:lol:

Im viewing this more on the positive side.

At least at this point fighting of Karate. I will be trained to another style of sparring.

And maybe when I come up with full contact Karate competitions. My boxing background can help me out there.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Im viewing this more on the positive side.

At least at this point fighting of Karate. I will be trained to another style of sparring.

And maybe when I come up with full contact Karate competitions. My boxing background can help me out there.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Let us know how it goes :)