• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What can you tell me about Isshin-ryu??

krunchyfrogg

Hey guys, after a few years away from martial arts (marriage, moving, injury, and baby... in that order), I'm looking into getting back into the "swing" of things (ha ha :roll: ).

Anyway, I went to a local dojo where Isshin-ryu is taught. I was impressed by the facility and the sensei was very nice.

He told me there was some overlap from my former style (a combination of Shotokan, Goju-ryu, and Shorin-ryu), and that I'd have a bit of an advantage in the learning curve because of this.

A couple of questions:

1) Could anybody here compare and contrast the different styles listed above? (I realize this could be difficult since my original school was a blend of three different styles)

2) My official "interview" will be coming up this week. What questions should I ask about this place? Are there any red-flags I should be aware of? The dojo's website is https://www.eastmorriskarate.com

I might have some more questions later. Thanks guys and gals! :D

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I cant remember if I trained with him aka invited his school to our school. Your not to far from Hackettstown where my instructor holds classes.

But pretty much isshinryu is comprised of goju and shorin ryu along with kobudo.

As for interview?? I never had to do one to study. I was given 2 free lessons and been doing it ever since. So its really hard to say what one should truly ask without feeling pressured.

I know if someone askes me bout my style I try to be as frank as possible and explain how we teach and what not.

Welcome back krunchyfrogg!!!

I looked through the site-did you read the "consumer" page? If the interview is oriented towards explaining the style and how you would fit in if you chose them...I would be OK with that. We interview our JuJitsu students-not to tell them how great we are and what a bad decision they would be making if they did not study with us-but to give them a reality check as to what our training entails and making sure that they understand the physical and mental commitments required.

Let us know how it goes.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hey krunchyfrogg, just wanted to say it is great to see you again. :) Hope all is well with you. Congrats on the marriage and baby!

Patrick

Thanks for all the nice words everybody. I'm meeting with the head instructor this weekend and I'll let y'all know how it goes.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke