• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Take Me Out...Yes...It's BASEBALL!

sensei8

I think if they could come away with WS titles in a 5 or 6 year span, that would tip the scales into a dynasty. Got to have those world titles to really get that dynasty tag.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if they could come away with WS titles in a 5 or 6 year span, that would tip the scales into a dynasty. Got to have those world titles to really get that dynasty tag.

Apologies, i can't resist this one, as a non American i have to point out that they have zero world titles, they have North American titles. Not disputing that they are the worlds best team but until/unless they beat the other international champs they can't be world champs.

Is similar to the soccer/football Champions League winners. They are the worlds best team as the European leagues are the best, but they don't become world champ until they win the club World Cup, as no matter the skill disparity there is still always a chance for the underdog to win! (witness the dodgers losing pre WS!)

I see what you are saying, but they are still world champions. Until the Japanese leagues, or the Korean leagues, or the Latin American leagues reach out to challenge the World Series winners, I won't concede. I think there is good talent that comes from those leagues, but that talent is always looking to come to MLB.

When it comes to soccer, I can see your point. It is much more established as a world game, with lots of talent throughout, and they have a process set up to allow all of those leagues to compete with each other. And there are just so many different leagues, too. So it's different.

I'd feel the same about football, or I guess I could refer to it as American football. If some other organization wants to challenge the World Champs from the NFL to a game to decide the winner, then that would be great. But the best football talent in the world is in the NFL already. I would contend that the best college team wouldn't stand a change against the worst NFL team. So again, I would hold my stance on the Astros being World Champs.

To each their own.

No disputing that they are the best team in the world, as are the NBA champs, NFL champs etc.

The best players also play in MLB (usually) but there can be shocks.

Easy example is my soccer/football team. I follow Glasgow Rangers and last season they were the losing finalists in the second biggest european club tournament but they are nowhere near being amongst the best teams in Europe (as they showed with their poor showing this time).

I've always quite liked the North American model where it in essence combines the two types of combinations we have over here: typically we have a long league season with one or two knockout competitions (cup competions). The regular season then playoffs covers that by saying that the knock out is most important but restricting it to qualified teams.

The system itself says that in effect anyone can win (the whole any given sunday thing), otherwise the regular season winner would get the title awarded.

Would the MLB winner beat the other winners? Yes in reality 99/100 but they still have to do it to be the world champion rather than just the worlds best team. To use a combat sports analogy: Charles Oliveira (pre recent defeat) was the best LW but not the champion officially; Jon Jones during his LHW absences was the consensus best LHW but wasn't the champ.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting!!

The Oakland A's might be changing both their name and location...The Las Vegas A's!! Has a very nice ring to it.

A's owner is focusing on a new home, and it's not in Oakland at all. The A's are coming to Las Vegas on March 4-5, 2023 to play the Reds at The Ballpark, the home of the Las Vegas Aviators Triple A which is the A's affiliated team since 2019.

The A’s also have been working with funding issues when it comes to a possible ballpark in Las Vegas. Oakland’s uncertain future is one reason it had a major league-low payroll of $49 million last year. Ever see the movie Moneyball? It's about what GM Billy Beane did back in 2002 with the A's, the A's won the 2002 American League West but lose to the Minnesota Twins in the American League Division Series, and he did it all with very little money.

Talks continue, and I must say that the A's possibly coming to Las Vegas piqued my interest to the Nth degree because the Yankees will be coming to play the A's during the regular season in Sin City, and I being a big Yankee fan will be in attendance at the new A's home cheering on the Yankees.

Raiders have done well here in Las Vegas, and so will the A's once all of the ducks are in a row and the A's move to Las Vegas.

GO YANKEES!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nope. Just the Giants and the Golden State Warriors, with the exception of the hand full of other sports teams like Roller Derby, Minor Baseball, Soccer, and other minor sports teams. Getting down to the nitty gritty.

Sin City has of late been a drawing attraction for pro sports. Right now Las Vegas is home to several pro teams. They've the Vegas Golden Knights of NHL, Las Vegas Aces of the WNBA, Las Vegas Lights FC of the USL, and the Raiders of the NFL.

Who knows, if we get the A's, and my fingers are crossed, maybe Nevada will get the Lottery too.

Interesting!

They have been saying for years that the stadium needed massive renovation / replacement with the team threatening to leave but i always though that when it came down to it they would end up staying.

One question i do have - is there sufficient population in Las Vegas to support a few of major sports teams (Raiders, Golden Knights and Athletics)? I know it has a lot of visitors but for something like baseball which plays so many games i'm not sure if that would be sufficient.

Could be interesting though - but as a Mariners fan i hope it is a total trainwreck! :P

Oakland has a population of 440K VS Las Vegas population of 662K. The A's don't have the bankroll of the Yankee, however, many financial requirements must be in order to even consider their relocation. You're right about the visitors here at Vegas, which has an average annual of over 30M visitors.

F1 is going to be an annual event for the next 10 years. Something must be attractive about Vegas for pro sports wanting to come to and seriously consider setting up shop in Vegas.

However, the League's owners would have to approve the move. When the Expos moved to Washington DC and become the Nationals, only the owner of the Orioles voted against the move.

I'm selfish because I want to cheer on my Yankees right here in Sin City. Have my fingers crossed, no matter the reason(s) why the A's want to move to Vegas.

All makes sense - the difference in my head with something like F1 is that F1 is a one off destination even per year and i could see lots of visitors travelling for it (something that Las Vegas is very well equipped to handle). Sort of like the NFL games in London which always have an excellent turnout as people travel for them.

Since baseball is (basically) played every day for 6 mths i was curious if they had the population to support it but sounds like they do!

I remember the Orioles issue, it was to do with the tv rights market wasn't it? Each team has a 'territory' and he classed Washington as part of his. From dim memory i think there was some kind of special territory agreement at the time. I can't think of a team that would have a territorial argument against a Las Vegas move though.

Fingers crossed for you then! Though i must admit that it is slightly disappointing when teams with a good heritage move locations - it is something that almost never happens over here. When people talk about it it gets shot down and there have been demonstrations!