• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I did it... but I paid a price.

Dr. Frank

I started training in 1973. Won my first trophy in competition in 1975. I won trophies in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and I won one today in 2010. That makes five decades in which I have placed in open tournaments.

But I foolishly entered kumite and was matched with some hotshot 22 year old nidan who had absolutely no concept of control. He kicked me on the elbow and messed up my whole arm. I am hoping it's just muscle pull and strain and not something more serious. Right now I am in agony and can't lift my arm more than a few inches. I should have withdrawn when I learned there was no age division and us old guys had to fight the youngsters.

To add insult to injury, the head referee was his instructor and I got screwed on points. Watched the video my wife shot and I saw 3-4 punches I landed that should have been called but were not. My instructor was observing and he agreed that I wasn't getting points. The two corner refs would call my punch and the head ref would call no point. Supposed to be if two see it then it's a point. Didn't work that way, today.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow. I can't believe they let him be the head judge when one of his students is competing. Isn't that like a conflict of interests or something? That shouldn't be allowed. Hearing stories of these tournaments is making me more and more glad that my school doesn't enter them very often.

In thirty-five years of active competition in point you haven't gotten used to filthy judging? :D From all I hear from the old guard at my dojo you see that kind of thing in maybe one in three tournaments.

Congratulations on your continued success, and good luck with your injury. It takes a lot of heart and skill to step into competition in your circumstances.

Edited by Toptomcat

Ouch, sorry to hear.

Yeah, I only do kumite if there is an age division. I might be young to some but hitting 40 I feel it when i spar with a 20 something.

And this young and not so young fellas is why i go for the kill and KO everything in sight... If i can hehehe.

"Pain is only a state of mind, so suck it up and do your job!" -Michael Chavez

I feel you pain. The last point tourny I competed in I had simular incodent. The first guy I went against was from the same school of all 3 judges at my ring. I think I managed to score 2 points. The honorable thing would be to call tourny and explain the situation.

The differernt divisions, like age, are needed I suppose. But, when I get my old and decrepit self away from the tournament, I'd better hope that my attacker is as old and decrepit as I am. So much for knowledge and experience and the like.

:) :P :D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Congrats Dr. Frank! :up:

In thirty-five years of active competition in point you haven't gotten used to filthy judging?

Judging is never perfect. Gotta make sure that you are clean enough to get the points and that there is no question that you scored.

I just went to a tournament where one of the ladies on our team is 60. Competed in the 50 - 60 category. Actually really inspiring seeing her out there and winning.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius