• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for Shotokan folks.

Dr. Frank

Just out of curiosity, are you permitted to wear uniforms other than all white? My first instructor allowed black uniforms for brown and black belts for a while then decided to return to all white. My current instructor insists on all white.

I associate traditional Shotokan with white gis. Am I mistaken?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours is traditional Shotokan, so you're not mistaken with us. My senseis would flip if someone showed up wearing anything other than a white gi.

New people who obviously dont have a gi yet they have their jogging pants and etc but you're expected to get a white gi as soon as you can. Also white gi are compulsary for grading and stuff like that, tournaments and so on.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

In JKA dojo I have only seen white, though there is sometimes a single breast patch denoting the dojo name. I think that the definition of "tradional shotokan" may vary a lot though, making your question rather difficult to answer.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

The association I was in permitted Black gi to be worn by black belt and above. However, at formal events a white gi was expected.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Pretty much all traditional Shotokan dojos use white, but non-traditional dojos can do whatever they want. Less traditional dojos sometimes wear black. Those entrenched in open style competition (NASKA, NBL, etc.) sometimes go along with what their peers are doing and wear flashier, color block, demo uniforms. Oh, and some traditional Shotokan dojos that have kobudo programs will use black gis or black tops when kobudo training, but I guess that doesn't really count.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

In JKA dojo I have only seen white, though there is sometimes a single breast patch denoting the dojo name. I think that the definition of "tradional shotokan" may vary a lot though, making your question rather difficult to answer.

In Shotokan or any Japanese Karate style, ONLY a white gi (uniform) is allowed.

This is if the Karate sytle is following the 'Japanese' tradition.