• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo

CycoKilla

Hi everyone,

I trained, for a very brief time about 15 years ago, in a style called Ryu Kyu Kempo Karate. It had an emphasis on punches, kicks & pressure point manipulation. It was enjoyable but due to one reason or another I stopped going.

I have just recently returned to training with the same sensei I was training under back then. He is now training us in a style called Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu. This style has the usual punches & kicks etc. but also incorporates grappling & ground work. I am very much enjoying learning in this style, however I have a couple of questions.

I have watched some youtube videos of this style & some of the comments seem to be criticising the style because it uses the word Koryu in its’ name. Can someone explain to me why this is & whether this is a valid criticism? Also, as a general thing, have many people heard of this style or Patrick McCarthy & if so, what are your opinions?

Thank you for all comments.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

'Koryu' is a term typically used to refer to Japanese martial arts that predate the Meji Restoration- from 1868 onward. Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo Jutsu having been founded after 1868 by their own admission, and incorporating many modern martial theories, the use of the term in the style's name could be held to constitute false advertising. At best it is potentially misleading.

Toptomcat is exactly right. I've trained in Yagu Ryu Bujutsu, a recognized koryu. It's my understanding that, for a martial art to "actually" be a koryu, it has to be recognized as such by the proper authority within the Japanese government. That authority basically verifies the lineage and origin of the art as having been from the time period to which Toptomcat is speaking.

Much of the training focuses, not on punches and kicks, but on weapons training. We focused much on Bo, tanbo, and tanto and bokken (with bokken leading into kenjutsu). The purpose of this was to learn the skills and tactics of the warriors of feudal Japan.

To that end, if you're learning lots of punches, kicks, and ground work...it's not likely a koryu. So yes, it sounds like the criticism is valid.

Thanks,

Bill

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Koryu - (literally "Old School") in its martial sense - refer to schools that were codified and recognised / recorded (generally) prior to the Meiji Restoration (as Toptomcat says) c. 1868.

Most Koryu schools today (or the ones that still survive) are members of either the "Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai" or "Nihon Kubudo Kyokai" (the two traditional societies for the preservation of Koryu Ma in Japan).

The fact that the school in question contains the word "koryu"in it name is a give away from the start - ie if it has to state it is, almost certainly it is not.

That said, just because the school isn't - strictly speaking - Koryu doesn't mean to say it can’t adopt the principles and techniques from one into its training.

Also; a Koryu doesn't necessarily have to teach a wide range disciplines into it system (in order to qualify as one). Daito ryu for example is predominantly unarmed stuff, where as Ono ya Itto ryu is purely kenjustu – both are however Koryu Schools.

Schools that incorporate a wide variety of disciplines (armed and unarmed) are generally referred to as "Sogo" Bujutsu schools.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

I don't know much about this style so I can't comment one way or the other on it, but I will add a general thought that one's motivation for training can also play a role in the importance of lineage.

If all you're looking for is an effective form of self defense, then if what he's teaching works and is something you enjoy, then does the lineage/history of it really matter? However, if you're looking for more than just an effective form of self defense, and want to learn something that has a rich past, then yes, the history and background of the art is important. Anyway, just something I was thinking about recently....

Hi being one that trains in Koryu Uchinadi and having met McCarthy Sensei on many occasions I would like to say the use of "koryu" in the name is not trying to make any link to old mainland Japanese jujutsu. Think of the "koryu" as an adjective to the word "uchinadi" just after it. Uchinadi meaning "Okinawan hand" a term for okinawan fighting arts. KU training methods are more in line with the older methods of karate or what would become karate as it is known today.

Although as a style KU was not formed before 1868 the methods we use to train are from before that time period. None the less term koryu was not used to a connect itself with jujutsu of old japan anyway.

Though "koryu" as a term is used by many to classify jujutsu arts of Japan before 1868 it is not the only way it can be used.

Just like Wushu is a term adopted to define the newer arts of kung fu that are combined acrobatics for sport, it is also does actually mean martial art. So for a older kung fu style (that is not sport oriented and doesn't do acrobatics) to say it is wushu is also correct.

You should feel free to question McCarthy Sensei yourself about the name of style. He took the name upon the recommendation from a his teacher a highly respected Japanese karate master and karate historian. If you look on McCarthy Sensei's website he does reference how he came to name the style as such. This was due to the fact that karateka would give him flack for mixing Japanese words with words from the Okinawan dialect to name his style. I personally don't have a problem with the name from either point of view but thats just my opinion.