• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i'm gonna crosstrain in Judo.

ok i've been looking into crosstraining in judo. I want to goin a class near me. Called eatwoods judo club.

I'm a orange belt in shotokan will be green in april.

How do the two differ and how r the two alike.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They're both Japanese, and you wear a gi and belt in both of them.

That's about it for the similarities. (It's not even the same kind of gi!) Shotokan is a striking art, focusing on punches and kicks: Judo is a grappling art, focusing on throws, trips, pins, joint locks, strangles, and wrestling. This means that the body mechanics involved are drastically different: you may even find some of your Shotokan reflexes hindering you.

Don't let that discourage you, however. Judo is a great martial art to cross-train with Shotokan because it's so different- it covers situations Shotokan doesn't, which is immensely useful from a practical perspective.

thank you all. I'll be calling the place today to see the cost. i'd love to cover thiungs other than the usual kicks and punches in shotokan. Thanx again.

They are both considered Japanese arts (even though Shotokan is really from Okinawa) so the cultural approach is the same, as is the etiquette.

Other than that they are two completely different arts. Shotokan focuses is on stand-up, and fighting at a specific range. Judo is a grappling art that focuses more on throws/takedowns with some grappling. If you are doing shotokan I am sure you will find that the two complement each-other very nicely. Keep in mind that yes both wear a Gi, but since Judo relies on throws and grappling you will need a woven Gi preferably one with a double weave. Karate Gi's are not durable enough for Judo.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

Yeah, I think the others have pretty well covered the differences. I think they're definitely a good compliment to each other and would give you a well rounded combination to work from in developing your own skill set.

Best of luck!