• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training gloves

ownagepro

hi I am new to karate and i dont know wich gloves to choose. I will mainly use the gloves for training and punching a inflatable punching bag . thanks.

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." ~ Sun-Tsu ~The Art of War

• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like to wear boxing gloves and regular (thinner) bag gloves. Make sure to get yourself a good set of elastic wraps. If you have never used wraps, search on youtube, there are tons of videos that will show you how to properly wrap your hands / wrists.

Ask your sensei or see what other students have.

Shotakan dojos used to mostly use cloth hand pads for sparring, but many are moving to vinyl karate mitts like the ones used by the WKF and AAU Karate. Some Shotokan will use dipped foam as used in open tournaments (NASKA, NBL).

None of these will be particularly suited to bag work, at least not for long.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

A good pair of boxing gloves will work well, and also give you an extra conditioning effect since you won't be used to punching with extra ounces on your hands.

Good point - i have 18 oz gloves and they took some time to get used to but when I did.... gloveless hands feel lighting fast.

Ask your sensei or see what other students have.

Shotakan dojos used to mostly use cloth hand pads for sparring, but many are moving to vinyl karate mitts like the ones used by the WKF and AAU Karate. Some Shotokan will use dipped foam as used in open tournaments (NASKA, NBL).

None of these will be particularly suited to bag work, at least not for long.

This.

Can't go wrong with WKF type mitts.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

As has been said, you really need to talk to senior students and/or your instructor about what is worn in your school. There are lots of choices out there, but in the end, it's what's used there that will be what you'll need.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 3 weeks later...