• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just About to start tang soo do

Hello to all on the forums i'm actually quite new here, my name is Giuseppe but you can all call me Joe.

Anyhoo i'm about to start a new martial art in TSD however i did study kung fu for about 3 years and have decided to leave due to lack of respect and the fact that the kids kept messing around, thus screwing up my concentration.

Anway this particular class i attend is predominantly made up of kids and i'm 26 years of age, however its the only class i can attend and the kids are all well behaved unlike the other school i mentioned, however im still a little reluctant to train in a class with kids again but at the same time i want to study TSD. I'm a wee bit confused and i'm not sure what to do any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kam saham nidah.

Yours

Giuseppe Storto[/url]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are you confused about?

How old are these “kids”?

I attend a Tang Soo Do class with a mix of kids, teenagers, and adults. I don’t mind working with kids but I prefer an older teenager or adult to practice one-step defenses and sparing.

Well there are quite a few who are about knee high and slightly above, with a few teens in the class. But im the only actual adult in the entire class. I did enjoy the classes that i habe been to which is just the 2. I think i am leaning towards studying TSD even if it means training with the kids. And i should be there this Sunday i also like the instructor he's good at whar he does very polite and informative plus he's going to bring my new shiny do-bohk haha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[T]his particular class i attend is predominantly made up of kids and i'm 26 years of age, however its the only class i can attend and the kids are all well behaved . . . however im still a little reluctant to train in a class with kids again but at the same time i want to study TSD.

How did the class work out, Joe? I remember when I had a scheduling problem that I wanted to be able to continue Soo Bahk Do, but take Jeet Kune Do lessons, too. My teacher had me in a class she simply called the green belts class, but they were all kids. It turned out that I got a lot of individual attention regarding forms, that the Ki Cho callouts (combinations of MA moves) were spoken in Korean at a pace I was better able to process, and when another adult found out about me being in the class, he got permission to join as well.

I'm hoping things turned out alright for you.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I never liked training with kids either for the same reason. Too many interruptions and the instructor had to stop class constantly to reprimand them. :roll:

I'd be straightforward and speak to the instructor about your concerns and what went on in your previous school. Perhaps bringing this concern up at the beginning, you will learn if:

A) this happens at this school too...OR....

B) If it is allowed to go on, this current instructor will lose members like your former one did.

You can also ask if they have a class that is adults only or suggest if one can be arranged. Just a thought.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• 4 weeks later...