• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to properly execute The Kata Heian Sandan

Bahamas

Youtube is a great resource but watch out... remeber each school has their own 'twist' on kata.... thus, the individual style names (ex: lastname-ha shotokan karate-do) so check with your sensei...

Sensei's on the forum.... AGREE OR DISAGREE??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

. . . so check with your sensei...

I do, Ryan, regularly since 7th gup; I'm 4th gup now. I do thank her for explaining some things to us, which from what I see from posts by others on different forums is not done everywhere (and causes some to hate forms). I find I'm the only one in the dojang who approaches her to explain, or presents her with an interpretation that comes from me or even on YouTube for her consideration. But these are merely moments snatched; they're not within class time and to be studied. I don't expect kids to ask questions of depth, but why do teens and adults work hard at forms they don't ask their teacher about? Why the reticence? She's a lovely person and a wonderful teacher!

I wonder how many teen and adult karate students throughout the country would dance the Watusi (I'm showing my age to remember that one) if it meant getting an extra stripe or a new belt color? If the teacher doesn't introduce something as that it must be learned, such as breaking down the forms for applications, it isn't likely to be asked about except by the oddball (!?) who thinks for him- or herself and approaches the teacher.

I think there's a pressure on teachers to make sure the students receive promotions to continue their interest, and to have them win trophies at tournaments for bragging rights. Training and preparation for these eats up finite class time. It means following a curriculum guide that assures regular promotion, and the tournament wins aren't just for kids but for teens and adults, too. Without following this road, the threat is that students will drop out or simply go to another school that fulfills their desires.

I favor knowledge-based training, and feel I don't fit in in my school--and likely other schools. It's great for my children, especially the personal attention their teacher gives to my boys who are autistic, and they're the reason I decided to take lessons. They've progressed to the point in which she has recently been able to teach them without me assisting on the floor, making me sad in a way that they don't "need" me, but happy that this important progress has been made.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Hirokazu Kanazawa :)

I told my sensei (who is 7th dan) that maybe he should keep going then he could have a 10th dan like him, his response was 'You know of Kanazawa?' of course I do.

he's good with the katas I go to his videos when I want some clarification on my kata and I dont want to wait for class.

I've been to two of Sensei Kanazawa's seminars here in California, and I'm always in awe. It's amazing to see this 70 plus Karate Master at work.

Very recently his son (a 7th Dan) gave a seminar in Sunnyvale, CA; he is also an awsome Karateka. His technique is also flawless (and fast too!).

awesome. you actually got to watch this amazing Sensei and his son.

Yes, it still very cool to think about it.

I got some picture somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.

...wish I took pictures with Grand Master Park when we hosted his seminar.

(why we didn't take picture, I'll never know :-? )

Osu!

Youtube is a great resource but watch out... remeber each school has their own 'twist' on kata.... thus, the individual style names (ex: lastname-ha shotokan karate-do) so check with your sensei...

Sensei's on the forum.... AGREE OR DISAGREE??

I agree!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I don't expect kids to ask questions of depth, but why do teens and adults work hard at forms they don't ask their teacher about? Why the reticence? She's a lovely person and a wonderful teacher!

It's possible that they don't want to have the apperance that they're dumb. Students don't want to say to their instructor that they don't understand some technique(s) for the fear of the appearance that it might reveal to their instructor. Obviously, you're the only one in your class who's actually heard the saying..."There's no such thing as a stupid question."

I wonder how many teen and adult karate students throughout the country would dance the Watusi (I'm showing my age to remember that one) if it meant getting an extra stripe or a new belt color?

I wouldn't. Yet, I still wonder the very same thing myself about karate students throughout the world.

I think there's a pressure on teachers to make sure the students receive promotions to continue their interest, and to have them win trophies at tournaments for bragging rights. Training and preparation for these eats up finite class time. It means following a curriculum guide that assures regular promotion, and the tournament wins aren't just for kids but for teens and adults, too. Without following this road, the threat is that students will drop out or simply go to another school that fulfills their desires.

I agree!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I favor knowledge-based training, and feel I don't fit in in my school--and likely other schools.

^^ X3.

I love training in the art of Karate (any flavor, doesn't matter) but am frustrated with the constant, heavy emphasis on rank ("When you test, this. When you test, that...") I don't flipping care, just teach me! Often times, I'll play with pieces of extraneous Katas (YouTube, FTW!) before class while warming up. Just 'cause I'd be bored doing 'my belt's Katas' 32940834098723 times over.

Maybe we should start a paradigm shift...... Introduce something like the "Non-Ranked Belt" (plaid perhaps, I dunno) for those students who feel sufficiently motivated on their own, and don't need a different skittle-colored belt every few months to stay interested......