• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to properly execute The Kata Heian Sandan

Bahamas

Hello . i"m leslie. I'm an orange belt in shotokan. ( third belt not second as in some styles or other places where they go white orange yellow. )I need help . I know how to do the kata ( interms of moves and stuff. ) But how exactly sould my feet be plaved exactly and ways that i should perform it for Grading ( i dont know what u call it where u are but its where all of the karate classes get to gether to be given a grade by doing a kata and specific move and if we do well we advance to the next belt. Its hext month i beleive.

Thanx Yall/. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hirokazu Kanazawa :)

I told my sensei (who is 7th dan) that maybe he should keep going then he could have a 10th dan like him, his response was 'You know of Kanazawa?' of course I do.

he's good with the katas I go to his videos when I want some clarification on my kata and I dont want to wait for class.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I told my sensei (who is 7th dan) that maybe he should keep going then he could have a 10th dan like him, his response was 'You know of Kanazawa?' of course I do.

he's good with the katas I go to his videos when I want some clarification on my kata and I dont want to wait for class.

I've been to two of Sensei Kanazawa's seminars here in California, and I'm always in awe. It's amazing to see this 70 plus Karate Master at work.

Very recently his son (a 7th Dan) gave a seminar in Sunnyvale, CA; he is also an awsome Karateka. His technique is also flawless (and fast too!).

I've been to two of Sensei Kanazawa's seminars here in California, and I'm always in awe. It's amazing to see this 70 plus Karate Master at work.

Very recently his son (a 7th Dan) gave a seminar in Sunnyvale, CA; he is also an awsome Karateka. His technique is also flawless (and fast too!).

awesome. you actually got to watch this amazing Sensei and his son.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

This will pretty much sum it up for you

:karate:

I wholeheartedly agree. Kanazawa Sensei is about as solid as one can get and/or hope for, including Kihon and Kumite as well!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I met Kanazawa in 1987 when he came to our dojo to give a seminar. My instructor had just joined SKI and as it turned out, I (with several other black belts) wound up leaving in a dispute over recognizing our ranks. K is very good, one of the great karateka. He brought a couple of students with him from Japan (no idea what rank other than they were wearing black belts) and I recall not being all that impressed with them. Our shodans and nidans (the ones whose ranks he refused to recognize) pretty much kicked their butts at will.

I have a lot of respect for Kanazawa as a martial artist, but I would not wish to be a part of his organization.

This will pretty much sum it up for you

:karate:

I prefer the last two moves over what Soo Bahk Do has for this same form. Sensei turns and strikes, first to his left, and then to his right. In Soo Bahk Do, the form has these moves, but adds in a sideways jump and two more of the same strikes.

These additional moves haven't been explained to me, although my teacher did refer to the elbow and fist movements as against an opponent behind you. The funny thing is that I've seen a video (Was it Iain Abernethy? Another martial artist on YouTube?) maintaining that while the elbow strike looks right for a blow to the opponent's midsection behind you, the fist is too far away from the opponent's face. He interpreted the twist before performing the first elbow and punch combo as having seized the opponent, and that the elbow and fist positions we see are where an opponent would be if thrown over the hip. Then, of course, whatever you do on the left is done on the right, and brings you back to start. In the Soo Bahk Do form, you wind up overshooting where you'd started.

I'm sure you can hit an opponent behind you with elbow and fist if he's in the right position, but why the jump and additional strikes?

I wish forms in every art would be broken down for students to understand and practice applications, and I mean way before dan level, right when you're learning the form.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu