• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu sparring/kicking drills

traffic142

Does anyone have the list and explanations of those drills? I have searched all over Google for them.

I have found the Chart 1, 2 stuff but no sparring and kicking drills.

Help

Ni Dan in Isshinryu, current training in Tarboro NC

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sure,

It is a controlled form of Kumite, it is also like Kata bunkai also. It is two person, one is the defense and the other is offense, offense does 3-4 techniques, the defense blocks the 3-4 techniques and then counter punches. You can go back and forth on those.

Very similar to the Bunkai for the katas in format.

Ni Dan in Isshinryu, current training in Tarboro NC

The typical term used for those is Sanbon or Gohan Kumite. Google those and you'll find plenty of results- though not all of them will necessarily be applicable to your school or even Isshinryu in general.

For Isshin Ryu sparring drills, you're only going to gind Yakusou Kumite. By the way there's a possibility I didn't spell that right. There is also eighteen combos taught in most Isshin Ryu schools referred to as sparring combinations.

For bunkai on katas; look up Angi Uezu on YouTube.

Sanchin is a hard body conditioning drill where one partner performs the kata and the other strikes his hands, stomach, legs and shoulder blades. This is designed to help breathing, condition the body, and help the performer's focus which develops resistance to pain.

The kicking drills I know of involve two people. Both stand with your right or left foot foreword and work on the Fumikomi technique back and forth, striking the outside of each others' foreword leg. This is both a conditioning and kicking drill. Likewise, use a low roundhouse kick to the outside of the back leg.

Blocking drills are similar. With a partner, strike each others' forearms with the Isshin Ryu style down blocks and side blocks repeatedly.

All the other kicking drills should be listed in the fifteen lower-body basics.