• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your "focus point" change when....

you fight against someone much taller or shorter than you?

I generally look my opponent in the eye when sparring. If my opponent is much taller than me, I feel i have to readjust my focus point;therefore, my eyes start to wander!

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I always look at the eyes no matter how tall or short (it is actually easier I find when they are shorter to look at the eyes). I focus and try not to let my eyes to wander... :wink:

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

When I spar, I usually keep my focus between the bottom of the chin and top of the chest. It's kinda like the center piece that'll allow me to see not just his/her eyes, but the movements of the extremities, dropping of the shoulder, arms, hands, etc.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Pacificshore.

Use that area for general focus, but not focus too much. Allow your periferal vision to pick up the movements of your opponent's extremeties.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
The traditional weapons arts of Japan suggest that their practitioners gaze slightly downward so that they are more sensitive to changes in their opponent's movements by peripheral vision, rather than concentrating too hard on the opponent and missing things. I'm not sure I would wish to try that in class sparring, though!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to gaze at the solar plexus or the hips...because at least in TaeKwonDO sparring everything comes from the hips...

And as with any kick, your hips start the process...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."