• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Legal problems due to belt rank?

A police officer once told my dad that if you shoot someone in your front/back/side yard, drag them inside the house, then call the police, not beforehand.

:spitlaugh:

I hate that advise. Then they can get you for tampering with a crime scene. The "old" way saved them paperwork. Now the crime scene guys would get their undies in a bunch.

If deadly force was justified in the living room, it will still be justified when he bleeds out on the lawn.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets take a scenario for instance. I thug has a knife in his pants but doesn't feel like he needs it. The thug thinks he can thump you a bit but then you announce you're a black belt... what do you think happens next? What if he has friends or a gun. You loose all advantage once you open you're mouth and utter those words. Kinda like saying just shoot me.

Yep. That's why we have a different interpretation of 'fighting stance' depending on whether we're sparring or practicing self defence.

Taking it to the extreme, I'm reminded of my old aikido teacher (he made aikido practical by incorporating his military experience). It was comical to see. A huge tank of a man retreating backwards with his hands up pretending to cry with blind panic, to lull his 'attacker' into a deeper sense of security and superiority, so that when he bounced in and took the (wooden) knife and applied an arm bar, the attacker would be totally taken by surprise.

We don't have self defense classes per-say but this is what I have been taught as well. Keeping your hands up protects you and allows you to counter quickly. The other advantage is that all onlookers see that you are not the attacker. If you instantly make fists and get into a "fighting stance" you may be mistaken for the attacker or appear to be initiating and force the thug to attack. Either way IMHO it's not a smart move. You put the attacker on the defensive immediately and escalate the situation.

If the guy feels that you're not a threat and does attack you have the advantage of being able to position yourself for a quick counter that they will not be prepared for. If you come off like you're ready to fight they will be on guard and you'll loose this advantage.

The other benefit is they do not feel threatened and you may be able to talk them down prior to it escalating.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

A police officer once told my dad that if you shoot someone in your front/back/side yard, drag them inside the house, then call the police, not beforehand.

I hate that advise. Then they can get you for tampering with a crime scene. The "old" way saved them paperwork. Now the crime scene guys would get their undies in a bunch.

If deadly force was justified in the living room, it will still be justified when he bleeds out on the lawn.

I agree; this is just bad advise. Was it perhaps said in a joking manner?

I agree; this is just bad advise. Was it perhaps said in a joking manner?

Nope, my dad says the cop was dead serious!! My dad rejects, as do I, that cops advice. Not that this matters, but the circa was 1981.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The police are there to enforce the laws and arrest those who disobey them. It is not reasonable for a citizen to expect each and every officer to have more than basic working knowledge of criminal laws. If one really wants sound advice, better get it from professionals whose specialty is to interpret and explain the law.