• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

passed my yellow belt grading!

That does make sense. When you're a white belt you're still the new guy and you're just getting your feet wet and testing the waters and a lot of people leave while they're white belts because they find it's just not for them. But once you get your yellow belt you feel like you're not entirely the new guy anymore-- you've taken your test and proven yourself and earned your space in the school's heirarchy (even if it is a low space). I can understand that.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does make sense. When you're a white belt you're still the new guy and you're just getting your feet wet and testing the waters and a lot of people leave while they're white belts because they find it's just not for them. But once you get your yellow belt you feel like you're not entirely the new guy anymore-- you've taken your test and proven yourself and earned your space in the school's heirarchy (even if it is a low space). I can understand that.

That makes sense, especially in the behavior of the BB's of my dojo. With some of them we never said two words to each other. Sempai is a good example. It wasnt that he didnt like me, its just that we pretty much never spoke or hardly even glanced at each other. But once I got promoted - his behavior - and those of other BB's - changed. He smiles at me more, talks to me more. I had a nice chat with him the night of the test when we were at the bar afterwards and got to know him a bit.

Its like - they dont hardly really aknowledge white belts very much (well other than the senseis, but I already wrote about them how they show much obvious favoritism to me even more now so) - but yeah, like you said - once I proved myself - they changed.

Have you ever noticed that?

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

That makes sense, especially in the behavior of the BB's of my dojo. With some of them we never said two words to each other. Sempai is a good example. It wasnt that he didnt like me, its just that we pretty much never spoke or hardly even glanced at each other. But once I got promoted - his behavior - and those of other BB's - changed. He smiles at me more, talks to me more. I had a nice chat with him the night of the test when we were at the bar afterwards and got to know him a bit.

Its like - they dont hardly really aknowledge white belts very much (well other than the senseis, but I already wrote about them how they show much obvious favoritism to me even more now so) - but yeah, like you said - once I proved myself - they changed.

I can relate to this a little, I am glad it isn't very bad though, cause here you're a white belt for 1 year before you test.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Well, my class only has seven people in it and they're rarely ever all there (the average class is around four people) so it's hard for anyone to ignore anyone else, so I guess I can't relate to that. I do have to say that the guys are starting to be more rough with me, though. Because I'm the only girl in the class, especially a girl beginner, they were almost afraid to even touch me at first. But now that I'm getting a little higher up there and getting better and I'm hitting them harder, they're starting to treat me a little more like an equal and they're hitting me harder and faster when we do partner stuff.

I can relate to this a little, I am glad it isn't very bad though, cause here you're a white belt for 1 year before you test.

You guys do stripes though, right? So I guess maybe getting your first stripe or two is how you prove yourselves in the beginning.

You guys do stripes though, right? So I guess maybe getting your first stripe or two is how you prove yourselves in the beginning.

Yeah, we have three stripes for white :)

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

We have 5 white belt stripes so it take 6 to 7 months to get to yellow. Yellow has 4 stripes so your looking at 5 to 6 months to get to green. Things get slower after you get your green belt. I was told 8 years is a reasonable time to get a black belt. With what I know now, that sounds about right.

We have 5 white belt stripes so it take 6 to 7 months to get to yellow. Yellow has 4 stripes so your looking at 5 to 6 months to get to green. Things get slower after you get your green belt. I was told 8 years is a reasonable time to get a black belt. With what I know now, that sounds about right.

I couldn't agree more :) this is the way it should be.

Well, my class only has seven people in it and they're rarely ever all there (the average class is around four people) so it's hard for anyone to ignore anyone else, so I guess I can't relate to that. I do have to say that the guys are starting to be more rough with me, though. Because I'm the only girl in the class, especially a girl beginner, they were almost afraid to even touch me at first. But now that I'm getting a little higher up there and getting better and I'm hitting them harder, they're starting to treat me a little more like an equal and they're hitting me harder and faster when we do partner stuff.

Snort. Humph. I have to ask higher belts sometimes to go harder on me. I can take a lot more than they give sometimes and my blocks and strikes are hard as well. plus my reflexes are pretty good, so i have to ask them sometimes stop treating me like white belt lol

got a brown belt in the face on friday with a good punch. I still have the habit of apologizing when i hit someone but my sensei tagged me for that and he says 'dont ever apologize! If they get hit its their own fault!" I know my blocks and punches are hard. I can even knock Sensei off balance with a good one and he's a big man. tall and stocky.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Snort. Humph. I have to ask higher belts sometimes to go harder on me. I can take a lot more than they give sometimes and my blocks and strikes are hard as well. plus my reflexes are pretty good, so i have to ask them sometimes stop treating me like white belt lol

Unfortunately I think it also has to do with being the only female in the class. But I've noticed the past few weeks that if I hit THEM harder, they're more likely to go harder on me. I'm pretty big and strong for a woman and not some weakling who doesn't want to break a nail or whatever and they're starting to realize that.

got a brown belt in the face on friday with a good punch. I still have the habit of apologizing when i hit someone but my sensei tagged me for that and he says 'dont ever apologize! If they get hit its their own fault!" I know my blocks and punches are hard. I can even knock Sensei off balance with a good one and he's a big man. tall and stocky.

Haha. I punched my sensei in the head last week. He was using me as uki and he blocked my right hook punch to the head and he was like "now what happens if she comes in with a left?" so I did and his block missed and I got him right in the head (not hard, though-- I think his head hurt my hand more than my hand hurt his head). :D And I immediately apologized really quietly and he said it was his own fault.