• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Thanks, BD.

Aye, had my first class as a yellow belt tonight, oh my legs!

Those yoko geri kekomi can be hard on the hips and legs well i havent really done it very much before, do my legs and hips ever feel like crud lol

its part of yellow belt cirriculum though and I still love it. so meh

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Thanks, BD.

Aye, had my first class as a yellow belt tonight, oh my legs!

Those yoko geri kekomi can be hard on the hips and legs well i havent really done it very much before, do my legs and hips ever feel like crud lol

its part of yellow belt cirriculum though and I still love it. so meh

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've started my first yellow belt kata and i felt like a fish out of the water. It is expected that we are able to know our yellow belt katas by their Korean names so I have a lot to learn. Like you, I couldn't be happier by the challenge :karate:

I feel ya-- I was working on my new kata tonight (well, kinda new-- I knew about 3/4ths of it before so the last fourth is new) and my legs were shaking by the end (it's Isshinryu Seiunchin-- lots and LOTS of horsestance).

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've started my first yellow belt kata and i felt like a fish out of the water. It is expected that we are able to know our yellow belt katas by their Korean names so I have a lot to learn. Like you, I couldn't be happier by the challenge :karate:

Aiiieee, my hips, lol. It makes my time as a white belt feel like child's play.

My NiDan (who I'm great friends with) said that when he started as a yellow belt he was absolutely terrible! Of course he also failed all of his dan tests the first time he tried to grade up. My brown belt friend also said that her kicks are terrible. But they learned to do them, and I will too! I love the challenge.

It feels different, too. ranking up. I just dont feel the same anymore. It feels different when you are a higher belt. Not cocky or anything. just - different. I cant explain it.

I'm also gaining more strength in my legs. I can do kiba dachi and kokutsu dachi with no problems - and hold the stance ! I saw out of the corner of my eye my other yellow belt friend still found it hard to hold stance zenkutsu dachi so he had his legs straight while I held the stance. And I was like Wow! It was the yoko geri kekomi that killed my legs and hips. Not having really done it before, see and twisting my hips and straighten my leg.

It feels different, too. ranking up. I just dont feel the same anymore. It feels different when you are a higher belt. Not cocky or anything. just - different. I cant explain it.

Have you noticed the effect yet where your performance increases just due to wearing a different color belt? I noticed that a lot when I was younger-- I'd get a new belt and overnight my moves would get sharper and harder. I think it was a cross between my self-confidence being higher and more being expected of me, so I wanted to live up to the higher expectations.

Have you noticed the effect yet where your performance increases just due to wearing a different color belt? I noticed that a lot when I was younger-- I'd get a new belt and overnight my moves would get sharper and harder. I think it was a cross between my self-confidence being higher and more being expected of me, so I wanted to live up to the higher expectations.

Uh, yeah. I think thats probably one of the things that was happening when i said 'i felt different but i cant explain it'

That and the new responsibility placed on me when i happened to be the student in front, at farthest right, before any BB's came in and we were in seiza and it was my job to say 'sempai - rei'

Deer in the headlights, I was, because it never sunk in at first that I was in this position and after 'sensei - rei' Sempai turned and looked at me and mouthed the words for me to say and it was like, For I was highest rank, and the one in front farthest right at the time. but it never really sunk in until he turned and looked at me....Never did it before, but then i was always a white belt. Until now......

anyway pretty cool!

For the first class or 2 after I got my yellow belt I didn't notice any differnece but then I started to feel like I was more a part of the school - if that makes sense.