• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting Shotokan at the same time as Judo?

Praesul

Hi, I made a post on this forum before about starting Judo, and Kyokushin

I couldn't find a place here in Las Vegas which offers Kyokushin lessons, but I did find what I ASSUME is a really good place for Shotokan, all their senior instructors have received their instructor's certificates from Osamu Ozawa, who is one of Gichin Funakoshi's student's.

http://www.lvshotokan.com

This is their website.

Anyways, on to my question.....

What I'm wondering is, would it be a good idea to start Shotokan when I'm still learning Judo (and am still very new). Would it make things difficult for me? Should I wait?

(Oh and before anyone assumes anything...I'm perfectly fine with Shotokan instead of Kyokushin. I'm not "settling" or anything, I like both. Thanks for your concern though. =D)

Looking forward to your guy's advice.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it's fine... the two systems are so different that there's not much potential for conflict or confusion. Just don't punch anyone at Judo - even if they're cheating or bullying a bit - and it's likely nobody will mind :-).

Cheers,

Tony

Go ahead, there's many opinion on that is it better to start one and learn to be very good at that, or take two or more when you might not get as good asthe other one.

But usually it only gives you more ways to see stuff that you're learning.

:nod:

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Gor for it. Yo ould be fine with two arts focused on such different aspects of combat.

If you have time and energy for both, I'd say go for both. I personally am in Shotokan and considering Judo or BJJ in the future. However, due to time restrictions, I will wait until I get my black belt in Shotokan before I start anything else.

So yeah, if you can do both at the same time, go for it. I have a friend who is considering stopping one to start the other. I think this is a bad idea because you will be new at your new martial art and then tend to become rusty in the old martial making you someone who isn't really good at anything lol

If you have time and energy for both, I'd say go for both. I personally am in Shotokan and considering Judo or BJJ in the future. However, due to time restrictions, I will wait until I get my black belt in Shotokan before I start anything else.

So yeah, if you can do both at the same time, go for it. I have a friend who is considering stopping one to start the other. I think this is a bad idea because you will be new at your new martial art and then tend to become rusty in the old martial making you someone who isn't really good at anything lol

I think starting a new one while quiting the other one would be bad cause you can't know if you like the second even less. But "making you someone who isn't really good at anything", even thought you have done something for a short time, doesn't make you bad at it.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

I'm sorry, that came out wrong.

I didn't mean someone that "sucked" at everything, I meant that the person would be like a Jack-Of-all-Trades, master of none in Martial Arts (which I don't think is beneficial). I didn't mean to offend anyone!

I'm sorry, that came out wrong.

I didn't mean someone that "sucked" at everything, I meant that the person would be like a Jack-Of-all-Trades, master of none in Martial Arts (which I don't think is beneficial). I didn't mean to offend anyone!

I Don't think you offended anyone. Okay I get it.

In my humble opinion it is not beneficial to start to learn both at the same time ,it is not to your advantage in the long run .

By all means get competent in one and then start the other ,but there is simply too much to take starting both at the same time .

you should pick one as your main objective and use the other one to compliment your main choice .

never give up !