• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wrist Rotation...WHEN?

sensei8

I do it with a vertical fist as I was taught, power added by my bodyweight following the "falling step" concept.

The falling step concept - is this the same as the sine wave thing?

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went to the Traditional Fighting Arts Forum, the author questioned the sine wave motion in Tae Kwon Do, including a video link of it within a TKD form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=2bwx-s2bU2Q

When I saw it, I realized it wasn't what Lee taught, and Lee got it from research, particularly from Jack Dempsey's book, Championship Fighting.

It's having your stronger arm forward and putting your bodyweight into the punch by a kind of leap ahead, your fist striking the target/face with your feet just off the floor.

In the first video, a comparison of the jab with the Straight Lead, gets into performing the JKD punch at 3:15. The second video goes right into it from the start, then does the cross punch with body movement (and so bodyweight). This demonstator includes a leap forward with the latter punch.

The Jab vs. the JKD Straight Lead Punch

Jeet Kune Do Basic Techniques

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I do it with a vertical fist as I was taught, power added by my bodyweight following the "falling step" concept.

The falling step concept - is this the same as the sine wave thing?

Chitsu

Basically your standard karate lunge punch but more of a body feeling that you're falling into the strike rather than just stepping into it. You can find his book "Championship Fighting" on the Internet in several places.

Kinda like Tobikomizuki.

Thanks, Chitsu. I'd never heard of Tobikomizuki until you mentioned it in your post. I'm surprised I didn't because of its similarity to the Straight Lead. I found a video that has it demonstrated by a sensei combining the jab with the cross punch, and he goes on to footwork that's much like JKD.

For anyone interested, though the sensei is speaking in Japanese, his movements speak for themselves. I found it enjoyable.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Thanks, Chitsu. I'd never heard of Tobikomizuki until you mentioned it in your post. I'm surprised I didn't because of its similarity to the Straight Lead. I found a video that has it demonstrated by a sensei combining the jab with the cross punch, and he goes on to footwork that's much like JKD.

For anyone interested, though the sensei is speaking in Japanese, his movements speak for themselves. I found it enjoyable.

Hi joesteph, glad you liked it.

As you liked that, you would probably find a home for Nagashizuki, which is a natural extension of tobikomi.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

the hand should twist at excactly moment of impact....it can move organs and to real damage.

its also a vital part of 'kime' doing it at the last second and tensing all muscles at moment it hits its target

some teach to twist in middle but its not as strong.

practice doesnt make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

Good posts thus far...thanks!

WHEN? Isn't subjective at all. In Shindokan, our wrists, per the tsuki, don't rotate until just before the target, and no sooner. By that, I mean, we don't rotate our wrists until the very last moment, kind of like a deliberate delay.

Please keep the posts coming!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!