• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Team Kata

conrad665

I found a nice one too. done by black belts.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a nice one too. done by black belts.

the other one is done by black belts as well. WKF uses a system of Blue and red belts for judging. Just an FYI.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

Is it really that different? Aside from the obvious stylistic differences and the fact that we are supposed to put the splits in ours, it is similar? In competition, the majority of marks go technical content and on being in unison.

I suppose it was the stylistic differences that stood out - the "sine wave" thing is unique to TKD and something that I have not seen in any traditional Karate.

Also, you say they are in unison but there are parts where clearly, they are not.

I thought this was deliberate because they were trying to expand on the the sine wave principle by utilising a "mexican wave" effect during the performance.

Thats how I saw it, different.

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Oh yeah the splits (as they're called) are not in unison strictly speaking but they have to still match the rhythm and be technically correct so the team is moving as a whole. That is if a movement is normal (or continuous, connecting, slow or fast) motion each person still has to be doing the technically right motion individually and it must match up with the rest of the teams so they're still working in unison. Kind of hard to explain without going into the technicalities of TKD forms but there are extensive rules on what you can and can't do for "splits" as the team still has to look like a whole.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Oh yeah the splits (as they're called) are not in unison strictly speaking but they have to still match the rhythm and be technically correct so the team is moving as a whole. That is if a movement is normal (or continuous, connecting, slow or fast) motion each person still has to be doing the technically right motion individually and it must match up with the rest of the teams so they're still working in unison. Kind of hard to explain without going into the technicalities of TKD forms but there are extensive rules on what you can and can't do for "splits" as the team still has to look like a whole.

Haha, when you first mentioned the splits I thought you were talking about the splits in a gymnastic/dancer sence ie legs akimbo etc.

I see what you mean now - split timing.

I thought it was nice touch - is it supposed to be a reflection of the sinus principle?

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Oops you get so used to calling them splits that you forget everyone has no idea what you're talking about :lol:. I don't think they're even called that properly?!?

Anyway, to answer your question.. I have no idea. I think the original intention was to copy team kata and then to try to "spice them up a bit". We also don't have to do the bunkai aspect with ours too as that gets covered in a different tournament discipline.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hi and thanks everyone :)

I've been too busy all week so I could have the chance to see your comments just now.Thanks for the videos,they really show how a kata team is supposed to be (the Mexican wave and turning on one foot were so interesting,I've never seen those kind of movements before:)).

Our work will be a kind of competition,not seriously,but it will be a bonus point for our belt exams.The real aim of it is to make people feel responsible for karate and their friends,because usually ten or fifteen people attend to lessons.Trainers are trying to increase that number or at least want to make sure we are practising somehow.(I never skip my lessons,by the way,that wish doesn't include me :karate: )

Videos that you kindly shared look so cool,being in such harmony must have cost a great deal of practise for all of performers.We have only 3 months to work, and since we're all students,we won't have time to practise a lot.And I'm only a green belt! :( Fortunately,we're not supposed to perform bunkai.As far as I understand,the first thing I must do is feel confident about at least one kata I know,which I'll start working on quickly,then to find mates that I share similar abilities.I hope to be a team-mate with some higher belts,but I don't have enough courage to ask,and if I were them,I wouldn't want a lower degree as a team-mate,either.Anyways,we are going to start working next week,I hope everything will be OK.

Thanks for your help again and one more question:which kata do you think should I consider performing with my team (if they agree)?I know Heians except Godan and Ji'in.Unsu looks so nice,but it is also too hard for my level.Heian Yondan is the most aesthetic one among my katas,I think,but I can learn a new one if trainers accept,of course.I'll ask it tomorrow.

Well if your a green belt in Shotokan, I recomend Heian Sandan, or Heian nidan ,being that you probally are more familar with those Katas. Stay away from the more advanced Katas, since you have to develope timing with them.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

You are right,and I may sound conceited(but I'm not) if I say something like that to trainers.Heian Sandan seems to be the best choice for my level.If I form a group with blue belts,I can give Heian Yondan a try(I'm not very good at it yet).We have three months to work.

I had some fun doing Heian Nidan in team kata in unison with my other 8th kyu friend last night, I'd love to do this kata in team kata in a tournament!

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.