• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

100 man kumite.

Soheir

Sorry, I don't mean to offend but - what you saying?

What sort of "respect" and from whom?

The individual participating in it? or from others?

Chitsu

Both. If I'm fighting a guy who has to fight 99 other people and I'm hitting him hard and he's hitting hard back and not quitting, you can't help but respect that guy.

Kuma,

I understand your sentiment, but I got the impression from soheir's post that it was more about impressing others (beyond the participants).

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think that was?

And when you say voluntary, could anyone volunteer, or could you only do so after achieving a prescribed rank?

Chitsu

It's obvious, not everyone could do it, but if you complete it, you'll get a lot of respect. :karate:

And is gaining the respect of others the main goal?

Chitsu

Well of course not,don't get me wrong. I'm just saying. :o

Chitsu

I'm not saying you have to want respect, But you'll get it, for sure.

I mean Nothing else.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Chitsu

Both. If I'm fighting a guy who has to fight 99 other people and I'm hitting him hard and he's hitting hard back and not quitting, you can't help but respect that guy.

Kuma,

I understand your sentiment, but I got the impression from soheir's post that it was more about impressing others (beyond the participants).

Chitsu

You have one post from someone that says you'll get a lot of respect, then immediately afterwords said that it's not *all* about respect, and one post that says it's mostly about testing oneself but also tangentially involves respect. I don't think there's a lot of room for misinterpretation there unless you go looking for it.

Complete a difficult task in a certain field of endeavour and experts in that field will respect you- but there's nothing that prevents the emphasis being on the innate virtue of accomplishing a difficult task, not receiving the respect.

Most traditional Japanese ma operate on a "kata" based system (not just heian shodan type thing, but kata in the broader sense).

With this, there is a general understanding of "Omote" and "Ura" - surface performance and deeper understanding.

TBH I don't get the 100 man Kumite thing.

Not saying its wrong but it doesn't seem (to me anyway) to undertake, or subscribe to the omote/ura process

Could be that through the process of 100 man kumite the Omote becomes Ura?

Chitsu

Most traditional Japanese ma operate on a "kata" based system (not just heian shodan type thing, but kata in the broader sense).

With this, there is a general understanding of "Omote" and "Ura" - surface performance and deeper understanding.

Not saying its wrong but it doesn't seem (to me anyway) to undertake, or subscribe to the omote/ura process

Chitsu

If you don't get it, then it's not for you. Fair enough. It's a challenge, not a thought process. It tests you physically and mentally. Some people enjoy difficult challenges.

Chitsu

A great deal of kumite is an excellent way to turn mere surface understanding of techniques and principles you've been taught by kata and kihon into deeper understanding- the kind of deeper understanding that comes from seeing those techniques and principles in a context closer to that in which they're intended to be applied than is seen in kata and kihon.

Chitsu,

It's important to understand that Kyokushin is very much a combat oriented art. It focuses on full contact fighting with the goal of knocking out it's opponent. So while other arts may find deeper understand of the self through kata, Kyokushin does this more through the actual fight. That being said, the 100 man kumite is the pinnacle of performance. It is their ultimate test of spirit. Therefore, it brings the practitioner a deeper understanding of himself and karate. It is that understanding and great spirit that brings the respect of others.

Here is a link to a list of those who have completed it and more insight to what it is. It also has info on other similar challenges.

http://www.masutatsuoyama.com/100mankumite.htm#Kumite

Thanks,

Bill

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Chitsu

If you don't get it, then it's not for you. Fair enough. It's a challenge, not a thought process.

Agreed, thats why I asked the question.

Not everyone gets traditional Japanese ma either, but thats not to say that "Ten, Chi, Jin" isn't just as important to a Kyokushin practitioner as it is to say someone that practiced Katori shinto ryu.

Without these things perhaps, karate becomes just a sport/self protection system.

Chitsu

I think ps1 covered it nicely. If you watch any videos of Kyokushin training, you'll see we devote lots of time to kihon and kata as well. Kyokushin is a full karate system: we just prefer to put our karate into application rather than theory.

I think ps1 covered it nicely. If you watch any videos of Kyokushin training, you'll see we devote lots of time to kihon and kata as well. Kyokushin is a full karate system: we just prefer to put our karate into application rather than theory.

Ahh,

Don't assume that the guys that study the broader aspects, don't know how to stick it in!!!

Of course they do, they just get a lot more to boot :)

But its hard - a different kind of hard maybe.

Chitsu