• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

100 man kumite.

Soheir

Wow! One minute between every kumite?? That's a long time..

On review of other sources, Wikipedia was wrong on that. It's straight through, with some reports of a short break at 50- which is as impressive as hell.

Yeah, it is! :D , I thought it sounded little wrong.

Edited by Soheir

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think that was?

And when you say voluntary, could anyone volunteer, or could you only do so after achieving a prescribed rank?

Chitsu

It's obvious, not everyone could do it, but if you complete it, you'll get a lot of respect. :karate:

And is gaining the respect of others the main goal?

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

And when you say voluntary, could anyone volunteer, or could you only do so after achieving a prescribed rank?

Chitsu

It's obvious, not everyone could do it, but if you complete it, you'll get a lot of respect. :karate:

Chitsu

Well of course not,don't get me wrong. I'm just saying. :o

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Can I ask: -

Is this something that practitioners decide to do - maybe at some point of their career - or is it a requirement for dan/academic/technical/physical advancement or all of the above?

Granted, I guess all go hand in glove, but I just wondered whether it was something that groups actively promote as a tool for advancement - or is an individual’s choice?

Chitsu

Originally it was thought to be a requirement for 4th or 5th dan but Oyama figured out pretty quick not everyone had the spirit for it. It's now considered the ultimate challenge. Less than 20 people have done it.

The explanation I have seen is that accomplishing it requires an extreme of fighting spirit not present or capable of being instilled in many of those otherwise physically qualified for high rank.

I don't think that there's an explicit rank limit involved, though I can't imagine someone who's obviously unready for any reason, including a lack of adequate training, being permitted to attempt it.

All who've made it were at least sandan at the time they tried I believe.

Wow! One minute between every kumite?? That's a long time..

On review of other sources, Wikipedia was wrong on that. It's straight through, with some reports of a short break at 50- which is as impressive as hell.

You are allowed some rest. Watch part of Hajime Kazumi's 100 man kumite. You have the bow in at the beginning and end so you get a bit there, plus I think they allow short breaks at certain intervals. It's still an awful long time. Kazumi's was just over 5 hours I think.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU4OTY0OTI=.html

Chitsu

It's the ultimate physical and mental challenge for a Kyokushin karateka. There's no better way to test your spirit than by taking on 100 equally tough, powerful, conditioned fighters. Kyokushin is all about spirit and perseverance despite whatever hardship you may endure, and the hyakunin kumite is one of the most grueling tests you can endure.

Chitsu

Chitsu

Well of course not,don't get me wrong. I'm just saying. :o

Sorry, I don't mean to offend but - what you saying?

What sort of "respect" and from whom?

The individual participating in it? or from others?

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Sorry, I don't mean to offend but - what you saying?

What sort of "respect" and from whom?

The individual participating in it? or from others?

Chitsu

Both. If I'm fighting a guy who has to fight 99 other people and I'm hitting him hard and he's hitting hard back and not quitting, you can't help but respect that guy.

Can I ask: -

Is this something that practitioners decide to do - maybe at some point of their career - or is it a requirement for dan/academic/technical/physical advancement or all of the above?

Granted, I guess all go hand in glove, but I just wondered whether it was something that groups actively promote as a tool for advancement - or is an individual’s choice?

Chitsu

Originally it was thought to be a requirement for 4th or 5th dan but Oyama figured out pretty quick not everyone had the spirit for it. It's now considered the ultimate challenge. Less than 20 people have done it.

17 people are known to have completed the challange.

At least most of them were done 3th dan, Loek Hollander propably didnt.

Miyuki Miura completed 100 man kumite in a little over three hours.