• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How Young for Shotokan Black Belt

homelearnin

The average at our school is 3-5 years, however, any one under 16 is not allowed to hold a full dan grade . They are considered a "junior grade" until 16 and then re-test for full dan status. Children under the age of 9 do not receive any gup ranking either until they turn 9 and then are considered a "junior" student. SO, conceivably it would take a 6 year old a minimum of 6 years to reach Junior Black Belt, and another 4 to full dan status.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average at our school is 3-5 years, however, any one under 16 is not allowed to hold a full dan grade . They are considered a "junior grade" until 16 and then re-test for full dan status. Children under the age of 9 do not receive any gup ranking either until they turn 9 and then are considered a "junior" student. SO, conceivably it would take a 6 year old a minimum of 6 years to reach Junior Black Belt, and another 4 to full dan status.

8)

WOW!! we have a 8yr old green belt at my dojo and 2 disabled yellow belts (we're not quite sure how one of them got there coz she carn't do the katas, kumite and her kiyas go for about 2mins or until one of the sempeis gets real agro)

~Rhi

• 6 months later...

WOW!! we have a 8yr old green belt at my dojo and 2 disabled yellow belts (we're not quite sure how one of them got there coz she carn't do the katas, kumite and her kiyas go for about 2mins or until one of the sempeis gets real agro)

oh man that made me laugh!

- Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I our region a belt exam is held in every 3 months. If any one can practice sincerely throughout the duration he/she may get the upper belt within every 3 months. Thus, 8Q can be passed within 8x3 = 24months. I think this is the lowest time for achieving a black belt, though it very tough to pass exams of higher belts.

skill is the charm, be skilled.

My school has the policy that (most of the time, there are exceptions) a black belt must be 18. Before that most children do not have the maturity to become blackbelts. However, there is no set roadmap to becoming a blackbelt. The journey depends on the student themselves.

We have actually been to other schools and tournaments and seen 5 and 6 year olds with blackbelts running around with kamas and katanas! Most parents don't let their kids run with scissors much less a large weapon. I would warn you not to expect a blackbelt within a year. If your child does recieve one, then I would be wary of the school and the quality of your child's training.

Why at 18? Why the difference?

There is a muturity level that should be reached with blackbelt. Currently I don't know anyone under 18 mature enough to accept this honor. I have teenage blackbelts and younger walking around tournaments demanding for lower ranks to bow to them. My mom was a teacher at the time and a green belt. She informed them that if she could still put them in detention or timeout then she doesn't bow to them. Whether that is right or not is another discussion, but if you feel the need to demand that people bow to you, you are not mature enough to be bowed to. Respect is earned, not demanded.