• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Test TONIGHT

I'm an 8th Gup White Belt right now and I'm testing for my 7th Gup Yellow Belt tonight... & I'm really nervous! I have class from 6:30 to 7:30, then testing will begin right after class.

I have about 2 hours between the time get off work and the time class begins. I intend to go home, loosen up, and practice my katas (BTW - Is katas incorrect? Can you use kata to mean singular and plural, like deer?).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

all good wishes. :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

I am very happy to report that I am now a yellow belt. Going through the test was very stressful but a great experience.

I had to perform 3 katas then wait while other performed theirs. I think I held my breath through the first kata and most of the second. I started to feel more comfortable by the time I was finishing my last kata. I assume I was holding my breath because I was panting like a person that just ran a marathon.

I had to perform 5 one-step defenses - twice. The guy I was teamed up with was great. We both had the same philosophy - move through the technique hard and fast then end with a a loud ki-ai. I'm not sure our movements were perfect but if the intend of the one-step was to block, punch, drive the person to the ground... we did it!

I had to fight for 3 one-minute rounds. I took some shots and gave some shots but I wasn't winded at the end of the 3rd round. I'm starting to feel like I'm strategizing more and pacing myself as opposed to charging in like bull and throwing everything at once.

Testing ended with a belt ceremony where my instructor talked about the history of our MA how he hopes to move his school into the future with our testing class. Again, great experience. :karate: