• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Face striking in karate

Usotsuki

I don't oppose a tap on the top of the head — that's a reminder to keep your hands up. I do that myself to all whom I spar with, regardless of rank. I agree with you — it would be a disservice to beginners and experienced students alike if a black belt didn't do something like that to remind them to protect their face area. Bad habits like that are hard to break — so a tap's a good idea, certainly.

But I was responding to the kind of contact the original poster here was describing, which was hard enough and repeated enough to cause injury to him/her.

That is avoidable at all times, if a black belt exercises the kind of control a black belt should always have.

Osu,

Sensei Russell Bianca

Brooklyn Kenshikai Karatedo

421 5th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11215

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't condone full power strikes on a beginner anywhere, but if the guy's pulling his punches and it's part of the training I don't see a problem with it. Sounds like the BB in question just needs to use a bit more control.

That is exactly right. This black belt who was striking the beginner in the face to the point of injury needs to show a LOT more control, and/or get a taste of his own medicine in a private sparring session.

Osu,

Sensei Russell Bianca

421 5th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11215

Hey everybody... new to the site, just signed up. But, the full contact sparring topic with punches to the face in Wado Ryu doesn't sound like a very good school to be attending. In Wado you can only hit to the face if you are a black belt and it has to be controlled. I just got back from the 8th annual C. T. Patterson tourney which is a Wado only tourney and they disqualified if you strike to the face in that manner. It seems that you just have a Cobra Kai wanna be you likes to beat up on people who is under their rank. But, if that is not the case then you need to find a school in which they want to train you to be confident and well adjusted to sparring then just how to take a punch to the face. I have fought both hard with no pads anything goes, and tourney style. the tourney style is what is going to help you in the long run so you can figure out how to control your body and mind.

Hey everybody... new to the site, just signed up. But, the full contact sparring topic with punches to the face in Wado Ryu doesn't sound like a very good school to be attending. In Wado you can only hit to the face if you are a black belt and it has to be controlled. I just got back from the 8th annual C. T. Patterson tourney which is a Wado only tourney and they disqualified if you strike to the face in that manner. It seems that you just have a Cobra Kai wanna be you likes to beat up on people who is under their rank. But, if that is not the case then you need to find a school in which they want to train you to be confident and well adjusted to sparring then just how to take a punch to the face. I have fought both hard with no pads anything goes, and tourney style. the tourney style is what is going to help you in the long run so you can figure out how to control your body and mind.

Have you tried anything other than balls-to-the-wall bareknuckle and point karate? There are other options out there, options that can add a great deal to the technical repertoire of a karateka without posing an undue injury risk.

IMHO a black belt sparring with a white belt should be sparring in a very light and relaxed way, trying to encourage the white belt to learn the technical side of sparring (how to spot openings, how to move out of the way, how to counter etc. etc.) without being frightened of getting walloped. It's ok for a black belt to show their skill, but in a very controlled way. There's no need to be making actual contact to the face of the white belt - what does it achieve? A black belt should have sufficient self confidence and maturity not to need to overwhelm a beginner.

When I spar with beginners or other students who lack confidence, I always make a point of telling them "I'm not going to hit you, just play tag" I can practice my own techniques without having to make hard contact and, at the same time, it helps them to relax which frees their minds up to learn new things. Of course, there is a time and place for harder sparring, but IMHO only between more advanced students and under controlled conditions.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

I agree 100& -- a black belt should understand that a beginner is just that -- a beginner!! Like you said, you first need to learn the technical side, and become comfortable with simply how to move and block and strike, before being shown the reality of face contact. I agree that at some point, you need to see that not protecting your face has consequences, but in the case of a beginner, he/she has enough to contend with just trying not to be nervous and feel awkward moving and doing basics.

The aforementioned black belt, who kept walloping the original poster in the face, missed something in his training if he doesn't realize how to teach a beginner to spar.

Osu,

Sensei Russell Bianca

421 5th Avenue

Brooklyn, NY 11215