• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need help with identifying techniques.

variedstyles

We were taught these techniques in class yesterday, but I don't know their names (nor does my teacher, or anyone else in class). Some help in identifying them would be welcome.

-Left-leg-forward zenkutsu, ashi barai with right leg (it now lands in front of your left leg), do a 360 spin on the right leg's heel, and land forward in a left-leg-forward zenkutsu.

-Stand in yoi. Rotate the right arm in a circle (with the elbow kept fixed and the forearm essentially guarding your head and torso), and keep rotating it like a propeller. Punch through the 'sweep area' after each spin as a counterattack. Variations - the spinning hand is kept open instead of in a fist; spinning in reverse. We were also taught that if a punch does get through the guard, it can quickly be 'caught' by the spinning hand, and then finished as a throw.

We were also taught stepping in kiba dachi (sideways, diagonal forward and backward, and transitioning to zenkutsu and back), though I don't get how it could be useful in combat (sport or even SD) situations at all. Any pointers?

Thanks ^^

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
We were taught these techniques in class yesterday, but I don't know their names (nor does my teacher, or anyone else in class). Some help in identifying them would be welcome.

-Left-leg-forward zenkutsu, ashi barai with right leg (it now lands in front of your left leg), do a 360 spin on the right leg's heel, and land forward in a left-leg-forward zenkutsu.

-Stand in yoi. Rotate the right arm in a circle (with the elbow kept fixed and the forearm essentially guarding your head and torso), and keep rotating it like a propeller. Punch through the 'sweep area' after each spin as a counterattack. Variations - the spinning hand is kept open instead of in a fist; spinning in reverse. We were also taught that if a punch does get through the guard, it can quickly be 'caught' by the spinning hand, and then finished as a throw.

We were also taught stepping in kiba dachi (sideways, diagonal forward and backward, and transitioning to zenkutsu and back), though I don't get how it could be useful in combat (sport or even SD) situations at all. Any pointers?

Thanks ^^

On the non-standard stances, it is nearly impossible to tell what you are talking about through text. Most of these obscure stances show up in Kata. If you watch some youtube videos on shotokan kata, see if you can find the move in there, and then we can help you. All of the kata books list the names of these obscure stances.

Some of them that come to mind are "Hangetsu dachi". It is very similar to sanchin dachi, but wider. The ONLY time you see it is in the Kata Hangetsu.

The other is the "Renoji Dachi" or "L stance" found in heian godan just before the jump.

Way of Japan Karate Do

Bakersfield, Ca. USA

Stand in yoi. Rotate the right arm in a circle (with the elbow kept fixed and the forearm essentially guarding your head and torso), and keep rotating it like a propeller. Punch through the 'sweep area' after each spin as a counterattack. Variations - the spinning hand is kept open instead of in a fist; spinning in reverse. We were also taught that if a punch does get through the guard, it can quickly be 'caught' by the spinning hand, and then finished as a throw.

...does this looks as silly as it sounds?

do a 360 spin on the right leg's HEEL, and land forward in a left-leg-forward zenkutsu.

O_O you sure it wasn't the ball of the foot? Turning on your heel is a big no-no in most of shotokan as it can damage your knee.

That kind of training is more for body conditioning, building strength and muscle memory etc. It's the building blocks. Do those particular movements enough and you'll have pretty damn solid leg muscles!

Thanks ^^

Yes,

Understand that they are Kata... Simples!!

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Mudansha - Non standard stances? :-?

Toptomcat - Indeed, it's wierd. My guess is that it's a foundation for a similiar (and hopefully more economical) movement.

WireFrame - That's alarming to say the least...I had always been instructed to turn on the heel - last instance of that being mawashi geri, where I was told that it's better if I turn on the heel rather than the ball of the foot. But this one I mention here -did- take the heel as the base.

Chitsu - Yeah, they could be basis for kata, but that's something I'm not too sure of. The first one seems to me to be a stepping technique, perhaps to get behind your opponent. (Like at 3:14 in this video.

).

Thanks.

There is a fairly universal consensus not only in Shotokan but throughout the various karate styles that the best way to pivot is on the ball of the foot, not the heel. I won't say that there isn't a style out there that takes it as the proper way, but I will say that literally every time I've encountered it it has been because the instructor has been misinformed about the right way to do things. An orthodox Shotokan mawashi geri definitely pivots on the ball of the foot.

How are you intended to be moving around your target for the first foot sweep/pivot technique? It occurs to me that if executed a certain way it could bear a resemblance to aikido footwork, which focuses a great deal on pivoting around uke.

And I've drills for moving around in kiba daichi justified not as a practicality but as an exercise for the legs.

Hm...I'll convene with my teacher on the pivot issue.

I'm not particularly clear on how you move around the target, but the first time my teacher demonstrated it to me, it was something of a spin which ended with your elbow on the opponents back, quite similar to the technique in the video. (I just started some months ago, I'm fairly vague on the technical terms. Sorry -.-)

On kiba dachi, I was aware of its exercise benefits, but would love to learn its combat applications, if any - I feel it's quite a stable stance.

Mudansha - Non standard stances? :-?

Yes... non standard.

When was the last time you were taught renoji dachi?

It is not normally covered like:

fudo dachi: rooted stance

kiba dachi: horse stance / side stance

kokutsu dachi: back stance

neko ashi dachi: cat stance

Sanchin dachi: hourglass stance

zenkutsu dachi: front stance

yoi dachi: basic stance

Way of Japan Karate Do

Bakersfield, Ca. USA