• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Requirements Of Parents/Guests!

There's a local TKD dojang that REQUIRES those who aren't students, parents and guests, to bow in and bow out whenever one enters or leaves through the front door. The front door! Well, I'd politely refuse. Why? I'm paying 'X' amount per month/quarter for my kid, and not me, to attend this dojang and I'd feel I was being forced to bow.

Respect should be earned, not forced on!

What do you require from your parents and guests?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My mum laughed at a grading once when one of the other kids tripped on the over-long pants of his do-gi. Earned her a dirty look from one of the other mums. Every now and then the master instructor would want to know whether someone's parents were present, proceeding to congratulate them on some aspect of the child's behaviour or attitude. They were just expected to be polite. I think it's fair to say our instructors (myself included) were more concerned about being polite to the guests, than whether the guests were being polite to them. In my own school, I've been more relaxed again, both with students and guests.

Cheers,

Tony

Mainly, I expect/require from any guest, whether their a parent or not, is to not disturb any class in session. This includes, but not limited to, not shouting out instructions to students in class---this is inappropriate and not their place!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Pretty we're the same way sensei8. Students bow on and off the floor, parents/guest are encouraged to join if they want but not forced to what their kid/spouse/friend etc is doing.

We want them to be as relaxed and comfortable as possible.

Some people just watch too many old karate movies.

Seriously, respect isnt given by simply bowing.

Respect in the sense of a martial arts schools refers to things like:

no shoes on the mat (I dont want your dirty shoes walking where my face may land)

dont talk when I or another instructor is showing something (unless you think you can do it better).

just to name a few

Hey I think its ridiculous to require everyone to bow, or even constant bowing from your students, but I wouldn’t get offended if I was asked to follow the rules in someone else’s dojo. Personally I think people try to hard to be Asian just because they are practicing martial arts. However when in Rome do as the Romans do.

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Bowing is not exclusive to martial arts...it exists in many cultures as a part of societal norms for greeting, etc. If i visit another country it is respectful to acknowledge this just it is in another's dojo/dojang. I bow to parents out of respect for the culture of my style not because I want them to bow back-they are not my students-but because I want them to appreciate the lineage of the style I am teaching their children and hope that they in turn learn to pay respect to it too.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/