• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Newbi question - bowing to your sensei

Martial means military and there is an old military principle to be considered here. In the military it is often a common practice to forgo all salutes while out in the field as you may just tip off a sniper or other enemy observer as to who the officers are and subsequently who to hit first. I believe the same principle kind of applies here. Always show respect to your Sensei but when in a public situation be mindful of not drawing undo attention to them or yourself. Our Sensei used to have a Belt on – Belt off policy. When the Belt is on treat him like a Sensei, when the Belt is off treat him casually but not too cavalier.

As iron sharpens iron,

so one man sharpens another. (Prov. 27:17)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't usually bow as a greeting. So bowing outside class isn't really an issue. We do use a handshake (one that seems to be used by a lot of martial artists that I have met) that I would use outside of training. When we're in class we always refer to Shihan as.... well... Shihan. But outside it's usually regular old Pete.

It really depends on the situation. Use your own judgment. If you bump into them in a quite area you might address them as you would in class but it's not something I'd recommend if you see them at the local pub drinking with mates. Some people like to keep a low profile on their training.

Martial means military and there is an old military principle to be considered here. In the military it is often a common practice to forgo all salutes while out in the field as you may just tip off a sniper or other enemy observer as to who the officers are and subsequently who to hit first. I believe the same principle kind of applies here. Always show respect to your Sensei but when in a public situation be mindful of not drawing undo attention to them or yourself. Our Sensei used to have a Belt on – Belt off policy. When the Belt is on treat him like a Sensei, when the Belt is off treat him casually but not too cavalier.

This seems like a great rule-of-thumb.

I am a bit disappointed at the "we don't bow" comments.

I spent 18 years in a dojo where we bowed when entering and leaving the training area. We bowed when we greeted Sensei or any black belt. We bowed when a black belt entered or left the room (best part of being a new shodan was taking your girlfriend to the dojo so she could be impressed when everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and bowed to you as you entered).

We bowed to each other before and after practicing one on one. We bowed at the beginning of a kata and at the end. We bowed at the beginning and at the end of humite.

Sensei is still Sensei even in the grocery store. But we didn't usually bow outside of the dojo or tourney venues. We would, however, nod and say oss!

The instructor I am with now doesn't insist on nearly as much bowing. The first time I walked into his dojo I paused in the doorway, bowed and loudly said oss! He turned towards me, smiled, and said "Ahh... old school Shotokan!"

I read a lot of old school vs. new school type comments. I assume that new school equates to a laxing (I don't think laxing is really a word, but you know I mean) of the traditional rules of interaction between a master and his students as opposed to a fundamental change in the way the physical art is being practiced.....? In other words, the way we act in the dojo has because more casual while the blocks, kicks, etc, have remained the same...?

When I first posed the bowing question, I assumed that there was a universal answer. After reading everyone's comments and agreeing with the pro (proper respect doesn't stop at the dojo door) and con (not drawing attention to myself and others that are training) logic I think the best thing for me to do is ask my instructor for his preference.

...I think the best thing for me to do is ask my instructor for his preference.

Absolutely! Whenever in doubt, always ask your instructor!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I am a bit disappointed at the "we don't bow" comments.

I spent 18 years in a dojo where we bowed when entering and leaving the training area. We bowed when we greeted Sensei or any black belt. We bowed when a black belt entered or left the room (best part of being a new shodan was taking your girlfriend to the dojo so she could be impressed when everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and bowed to you as you entered).

We bowed to each other before and after practicing one on one. We bowed at the beginning of a kata and at the end. We bowed at the beginning and at the end of humite.

Sensei is still Sensei even in the grocery store. But we didn't usually bow outside of the dojo or tourney venues. We would, however, nod and say oss!

The instructor I am with now doesn't insist on nearly as much bowing. The first time I walked into his dojo I paused in the doorway, bowed and loudly said oss! He turned towards me, smiled, and said "Ahh... old school Shotokan!"

good point but in my opinion, Its just like your job. you leave work at work. My instructor has a name and prefers to be called by his name, not "sensei". We don't bow at all in class. but hey, every school is different.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

...We bowed when a black belt entered or left the room (best part of being a new shodan was taking your girlfriend to the dojo so she could be impressed when everyone in the room stopped what they were doing and bowed to you as you entered)...

I find it really quite funny that almost every new black belt at my school at some point in that first month or so after becoming a black belt will manage to "accidentally" be late to class by about 5 minutes so that the entire class has to stop and bow to them. :)

• 1 month later...

at my dojo we bow before we enter, before we start, during training, after training, and as we leave. when we have drinks break we bow and if we approach any black belt of 3rd shodan or higher we bow, say oss and continue with whatever. we also bow to our partners when doing kumite.

it gets a bit repetivie but i don't mind as it stretches my back. i actually hang out with a couple of the black belts from my dojo and we greet eachother in the normal way.

~Rhi