• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My intro with a little background info

GeoGiant

Hello, my name is Mark. I’m a 37 year old married guy with no kids. By day I work as a geologist and by night I’m attempting to be a martial artist…..

I’ve been studying Tang Soo Do for 7 months and I’m testing for my yellow belt at the end Feb (2010). At my dojo we must receive 5 stripes on our white belt prior to testing for yellow so the yellow belt test is the culmination of those 5 stripes plus sparing – 5 katas & 10 one-steps defenses.

I was always a runner until around age 35 when my knees started causing me problems. I’ve always had an interest in martial arts (from movies I guess) so one day I decided to check out a dojo that I passed a few times while going to work – it was closed. I ended up going back after 6 months or so and I met with the instructor. After an intro 4 lessons I signed up for a year. I’ve been attending class 2 to 4 times week ever since. I guess I just got lucky and fell into a great dojo! I didn’t know how to evaluate potential dojos but I knew I didn’t want to go to a strip mall.

I’ve always been fairly athletic but I’ve never been very competitive, if that makes sense. I’ve played organized baseball, football and basketball but it was always more about hanging with my friends then competing against another team. I was always the guy that liked preparing for the game more than winning the game. However, since studying martial arts I’ve found that I am more competitive than I thought. When I spare I want to win. When I perform a kata I want to perform each move as if my life depends on it. The idea of levels that mark achievement and the hierarchy that goes with that achievement really appeals to me. I love the camaraderie that training in a group creates but I also enjoy the opportunity to challenge myself personally…. this is what I always loved about running… me fighting against myself to keep going.

Well I lurked on this forum for awhile and thought it was about time to throw my hat into the ring!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello, my name is Mark. I’m a 37 year old married guy with no kids. By day I work as a geologist and by night I’m attempting to be a martial artist…..

I’ve been studying Tang Soo Do for 7 months and I’m testing for my yellow belt at the end Feb (2010). At my dojo we must receive 5 stripes on our white belt prior to testing for yellow so the yellow belt test is the culmination of those 5 stripes plus sparing – 5 katas & 10 one-steps defenses.

I was always a runner until around age 35 when my knees started causing me problems. I’ve always had an interest in martial arts (from movies I guess) so one day I decided to check out a dojo that I passed a few times while going to work – it was closed. I ended up going back after 6 months or so and I met with the instructor. After an intro 4 lessons I signed up for a year. I’ve been attending class 2 to 4 times week ever since. I guess I just got lucky and fell into a great dojo! I didn’t know how to evaluate potential dojos but I knew I didn’t want to go to a strip mall.

I’ve always been fairly athletic but I’ve never been very competitive, if that makes sense. I’ve played organized baseball, football and basketball but it was always more about hanging with my friends then competing against another team. I was always the guy that liked preparing for the game more than winning the game. However, since studying martial arts I’ve found that I am more competitive than I thought. When I spare I want to win. When I perform a kata I want to perform each move as if my life depends on it. The idea of levels that mark achievement and the hierarchy that goes with that achievement really appeals to me. I love the camaraderie that training in a group creates but I also enjoy the opportunity to challenge myself personally…. this is what I always loved about running… me fighting against myself to keep going.

Well I lurked on this forum for awhile and thought it was about time to throw my hat into the ring!

Sweet, a fellow scientist! Welcome to the forums.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

I’ve been studying Tang Soo Do for 7 months and I’m testing for my yellow belt at the end Feb (2010).

Welcome to the forums, Mark!

Since you study Tang Soo Do, have you ever visited Master Constantino Terrigno's site, Tang Soo Do World, at:

http://www.tangsoodoworld.com

It's not the same setup as KarateForums, but it's a great site for articles, videos of techniques, etc.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu