• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Meibukan Goju-Ryu

newguy9208

I am new to karate and about to check out a school that teaches this style.

I'm in my forties and tired or going to a regular gym to lift weights treadmill etc.

I also looked at Bjj, judo,samo and don't really think they are for me.

Anyway, does anyone train in this style? I am not in that great of shape and the classes meet three times a week for three hours a class. This concerns me.

The teacher is in his seventies and I am sure teaches old school.

Any input as to the what this style is like and how I might prepare myself would be most greatful.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They do not spar, at all- which means that while it may work well from a fitness perspective, it is unlikely to confer practical ability in self-defense. If that matches what you want to get out of your karate training, then go for it.

I actually trained in Meibukan Goju Ryu when I was in the Marine Corps under Wade Chroninger and later Ricky Kleinsmith, both great guys. Sensei Ikemiyagi Masaaki is a beast.

We typically did a lot of Sanchin and body conditioning to start, then would work some kata and either self defense or kumite drills at the end. We did spar but it was controlled, light contact stuff (albeit no protection) since we were lower ranked belts. The higher ups had some good sparring sessions at times.

As far as what you can do for it, Sanchin and body conditioning you really can't train for unless you do it. If it's anything like mine was, expect to be sore the first few weeks so stock up on a lot of tiger balm.

Hanshi Miraikian is fantastic from what I hear.

I trained for almost the entire year I was in Okinawa, then for about another year in California.

At the lower belt levels you do some self defense stuff but it's really at brown and above when you get into the good stuff.

Mirakian sensei is good Goju. I visited that school last year for a seminar, and was very impressed with the dedication of the students. Nice dojo, 'old school' feel, and Mirakian sensei was a joy to speak with.

Leaves fall.

• 4 weeks later...

My understanding is that "traditional" Meibukan does not have jiyu kumite in it's cirriculum. My club (and my senseis club) has introduced it for it's obvious merits but we don't participate in tournaments (speaking for myself).

It is strictly in house sparring and not every class.

If you went the Yagi dojo, or Senaha Shigatoshis dojo I don't think they would include it in the cirriculum but I am not 100% on that piece of info.

The Yagi brothers may have changed some things since the death of Dai Sensei Yagi.

I've always felt that there's no point in trying to do something else to "get in shape" so that you can do an activity you're wanting to do to "get in shape." If it's something you're interested in doing, I say get in there and give it a go. They'll understand you're new at it and work with you accordingly. Just remember to listen to your body and take it easy when necessary, especially in the beginning as you're getting used to the increased levels of physical activity.

Best of luck in your new martial arts endeavors! Keep us posted.