• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

satin vs silk

ht

I don't mean to bring up another topic on types of belts, but every one that I found states the general differences between cotton and satin/silk. I could not find any information on the difference between satin and silk specifically. Assuming it is from an high quality company, how have your experiences differed between silk and satin?

Looking at the most recommended brands, I noticed Shureido and Eosin Panther don't even offer silk, just satin as their top of the line nice belts. Tokaido and Hirota have both. Obviously silk is more expensive. Does silk hold up better? Is it harder to "break in" for knots? Would you say it looks nicer than satin? Or is the higher price simply from the fact that it's silk?

Most of the other posts seem to describe silk and satin as the same thing. I figure they are probably quite similar in all the characteristics I ask about, but I just wonder if there is a difference at all because if they are so similar why even bother with the more expensive silk? Again, I suppose it could simply come down to the fact that it's silk, and you can have that much more bragging rights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No answers? I guess I'll throw in my $0.02.

Satin is a glossy fabric. It can be made of silk, but it doesn't have to be. It can be made of synthetic materials.

I should know this, but I think the Tokaido satin belts we sell are synthetic.

I would guess that if a company sells silk and satin, that they're both really satin, but one is made from silk and the other is made from a synthetic.

I don't know much about the differences between the two, but I'd bet that knot break in is more dependent on the material inside the belt than the covering. A silk or satin belt should only be silk or satin on the outside. Inside is probably cotton or polyester or a blend.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your response. Based on your response, it would make sense that silk is more expensive given that the characteristics of both materials are very similar as I suspected.

You are probably right about breaking in the knot. I imagine what makes it difficult to break in is simply because the silk and satin outer materials "slip" and thus don't hold the knot in place very well before the inside material has broken in. Cotton, on the other hand, creates more friction, so it doesn't slip, and the knot holds thus allowing it to break in faster.

If anyone has any more info they could throw in about different experiences between silk and satin please do.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but i had the same question.

Purchased a Tokaido belt - was told it was silk - charged for a silk belt - but to me it looks like satin. I remember my instructor having a new silk tokaido belt and it had a different feel and colour to it.

Any ideas how to distinguish the two?

Thanks =)