• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm New In Karate

Lukin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Make sure that your reasons for studying martial arts fit the school you’re studying at. There’s a lot of variation in martial arts schools: some are best at teaching fighting skills, some at providing hobbyists with a fitness activity, some are best at teaching the mental and spiritual aspects of the art, some are best at making their students’ techniques look artistically sharp, crisp and appealing. If your school isn’t giving you what you want from martial arts, don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater and give it up for swimming or badminton: try another few schools in the area instead.

(Unfortunately what a school is good at isn’t necessarily what they say they’re good at- in particular, the spiritual, artistic, and fitness crowd will all say they’re good at fighting. :D)

Hi Lukin, it's good that you are a little nervous about starting Karate. A little nervousness during your experience will help keep you focused and concentrated. There's really nothing to Karate until you get to the higher belt levels. At first you will just be taught the basic blocks, punches, kicks, stances, etc. It's all pretty straight forward, but you will be surprised how fast you will progress once you get the basics down. You will also find that there will be a certain technique that doesn't feel comfortable to you, especially if you have studied other martial art styles in the past that have an entirely different curriculum system. Like for me, I find the round house kick in classic Goju Ryu karate incredibly hard to adjust to. It's not like your every day Taekwondo round house. It requires much more leg strength and technique. Always make sure to ask your sensei questions if you have any, and tell him where you struggle the most so that he can provide extra help in that particular area.

Good luck!

Hi Lukin, it's good that you are a little nervous about starting Karate. A little nervousness during your experience will help keep you focused and concentrated. There's really nothing to Karate until you get to the higher belt levels. At first you will just be taught the basic blocks, punches, kicks, stances, etc. It's all pretty straight forward, but you will be surprised how fast you will progress once you get the basics down. You will also find that there will be a certain technique that doesn't feel comfortable to you,

That bolded sentence is true. It was very hard for me at first. I started shotokan on september 10, 2009. I was a totally new to MA. doing stuff my body wasnt used to doing it was quite difficult. at first. Learning the first kata was difficult at first. it all was. but now I know basics and when I learned thathe second kata i learned it in just a couple of classes.

dont be scared of them. the BB's and higher belts. First they'll teach you (how I learned) seiken zuki - the basic punch. Then the arm blocks. and after you can do them standing still they'll teach you how to do forward doing them. and backward, later. Then turning (which is difficult but dont be frightened - rise to the challenge. They like that. )

anyway thats how I learned, the order I learned stuff in.

Oh and dont forget to have fun! and good luck!

and hopefully the higher belts will come to meet you and say hi. Make friends with them and get to know them. Thats what I did. Dont be scared of the BB's - or brown belts - they are not there to bite you. :) (and if they are, they likely shouldnt be there or hold that rank they have. anyway i dont think most of us here think much of higher belts who harrass beginners. I'm a beginner though almost a yellow belt. but because karate is lifelong the amount of time I been in it is very small. very. so I'm a beginner too.)

Edited by Blade96

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Welcome to the forums Lukin :D

Good luck for your first class, let us know how it goes.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

THANK YOU GUYS YOU ARE AMAZING!!

by the way, yesterday was my first lesson, and I loved it!! all the guys there, were so nice, and I really enjoyed the lesson, when I was at school, I never practiced a sport or anything... and now I feel that this is the right one for me.

Thanks again for your advices, I'll use them, in this long journey through Karate!!