• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are We, Martial Artists, Lopsided?

The bodies natural response tends to put one side forward. Why not capitalize on that and spend a bulk of one's time pressing on with that.

Personally, I spend about 90 percent of my stand up time working off that side that comes forward out of the flinch respone. It helps me maximize my training time.

So, yes, we can be. And it's not necissarily a bad thing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can see the wisdom of both sides -- no pun intended. In terms of one-step sparring, we don't practice it a lot until 4th kyu or so. At first we only practice on the right (or dominant) side, then later practice punches and kicks on both sides. It is weird how different it feels on the other (weaker) side -- especially take-downs. In terms of free sparring, I have historically been pretty ambidextrous with my legs, but my right hand punch is way stronger and more dominant than the left. I do like to change my stances up and use both legs for kicks, but that has been complicated by the fact that my left hip joint seems to be wearing out faster than the right. :bawling: As a school, though, I would like to see us emphasize strengthening the non-dominant side more, since I think too many people are locked into always using their dominant side. However, as Tallgeese says, when it comes down to it I am going to use my strongest techniques, and there is a neurological aspect to which side is stronger. In theory, I think I favor training the dominant side at least 3/4 of the time, and the other side the rest, but in practice it's more like 90% to 10%. I can understand the arguement as well that it is better to train both sides equally, or even train the non-dominant side more, to equalize things. It always comes down to a cost-benefits ratio. We do not have unlimited training time, so we have to make best use of it, which in my opinion means mostly focusing on strengthening the strengths, and working on weaknesses only enough so they don't get too weak. Great topic!

I forgot to mention -- I find it interesting that my first inclination is to say "reverse punch" rather than "gyaku zuki", and lunge punch rather than "oi zuki", even though we use the Japanese terms in class, and I do know them. Just sayin', what comes natural is only natural! :) It seems to me that in a high stress situation we are most likely to do what comes naturally, so it makes the most sense to strengthen that. But thinking about the more stylistic/formal aspects of karate, I lean towards wanting to balance things. Hmmm....

I teach a lot using mirror image and train my students to do the same when instructing individuals or small groups. It really blows their minds at first but after a while they appreciate the value of it-for just this reason. I think that the impact of it is more than physical-it brings them to a better understanding of their own bodies and the importance of muscle memory and patterning on developing reflex, etc. As they progress in the ranks they are expected to train both sides equally but I still get puzzled looks when we do a class entirely from the "left" side!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I definitely feel lopsided. My instructors have always recommended that we practice twice as much with our left side as our right (left being the offside for most ppl), but I've never heard of doing a kata "backwards" intentionally to practice that. I'm going to try it!

I notice it more with kicks, personally. My hands feel almost equally comfortable with any number of strikes or blocks (possibly because I'm left-handed?), but my left leg really doesn't like side kicks.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.

~Aristotle

Wouldn't it be great to know all (or selected) forms the mirror image way?

When I did Tai Chi that's what we used to do once we'd gotten the movement of the form down in the right way. Its quite a good tool I think as you do become familiar with certain movements only from one side, hence this topic. Have tried to do my TKD forms sometimes in mirror image but I get confused and can't remember what's next :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hello,

Many traditional Japanese Jujutsu schools have Kenjutsu as their base art.

All Japanese sword work is right handed - there is no such thing as a left handed swordsman in Japan.

As a result, the related unarmed technique retain the same principles - thus primarily right hand bias.

chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

Most (not all) arts are asymmetrical. If you do a symmetrical art, you can't favor one side to do techniques, or you will halve your ability to attack and defense, in every sparring etc. match you go in, with no ability to compensate.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Our katas are definitely favor one side, and doing them "mirror image" style is tough, even for the more advanced students! I'm not convinced it matters much in kata though. One of the things my sensei has us do is switch lead sides when sparring. Not often, but enough that we feel comfortable (hopefully) with either side forward. I always thought that was a good idea until I read tallgeese's response. I always thought, "You never know when a threat will force you to lead with the right," but I think the reality is I would switch sides during the course of the encounter anyway, so why spend much time training backwards?