• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are We, Martial Artists, Lopsided?

I've placed this topic in the General Martial Arts section for one reason: We're products of the Martial Arts and in that, this topic concerns every Martial Artist, not one specific style and/or one particular practitioner.

Each and every day, day after day in some dojo found all around the world, people train in "unequal" ways. I'm referring to the practice of techniques on one side of the body more than on the other.

Have you ever stopped to think why we practice 3-step & 5-step sparring, but not any even number of steps? In Karate, practitioners don't perform any even numbered step sparring. That means that we do no 2-step sparring and no 4-step sparring and no 6-step sparring; karateka's only do odd numbered step sparring. Or, how about how we almost always start attacks with the left side forward? Even when performing basics individually, we, more often than not, seem to take an even number of steps other than odd.

What we are doing is working one side of the body more than the other, for some certain techniques and strategies. This may not be an entirely bad thing. But, it may not be the right thing for everyone, all the time.

But why force everyone to practice in the same way (such as left side block, right attack)?

In Kata, we often have sequences of three repetitions, or attacks that use the same side for each occurrence in the Kata. By training one side repeatedly, we can possibly make that technique become a natural reaction if performed on that particular side. But, what if the chance arises in a self-defense situation to use it on the other side, and we are ill-prepared? For self-defense purposes, doesn't it make sense to practice both sides of every technique and strategy?

In Shindokan, we've always been the proponents for training even-number steps more often in sparring and/or starting from the opposite side sometimes, as well as performing Kata mirror-image (starting from the right instead of the left) on a more regular basis. Practicing in such a way can be a real eye-opener. Some people who have trained for many years and look like they have totally mastered a certain technique or combination may not be able to stumble through the same technique or combination if done on the opposite side.

In closing, wouldn't it benefit the practitioner of any Martial Art to equally train both sides of their body instead of just one side? Of course it would! But, more than not, many practitioners of the Martial Arts don't and they're lopsided across the board. Those that practice one side of the body over another have either a very strong left side or a very strong right side, but, not both. What side is preferred? What side is preferred when executing one certain technique and not the other side? What side is preferred so much that certain techniques aren't ever performed from that one side?

So...are we, Martial Artists, Lopsided?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I can relate to this, I seem to favor my right side. example: I can Uchimata all day with my right leg and although I can still do it with my left leg, I always seem to instinctively try to get the take down or throw with my right side rather it be O goshi, Tai Otoshi etc..

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

My right side is stronger. I could break my sensei's hold on my wrist well with my right arm, but when he grabbed my right wrist and i had to use my left arm to take him I had to do it twice cause i didnt break his hold first time. (he teased me for that, I'll get him back, lol.)

and what about our Kata's? Heian Nidan for example has just one yoko geri keage and its just the right leg. we dont use the left for example. so we only do work one side when doing kata cause its always prefomed the same way.

now we do work both sides, but i worry about that too, especially with katas.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

That's why we do jiyu ippon kumite with both sides. Screws me up thinking about techniques on the "wrong" side though.

true enough! :D

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

3-step and the like aren't so bad if you practice it from the opposite side too. So instead of going right leg first (or left) you do the opposite.

Ages ago I posted a thread with this article about how TKD Chang Hon patterns have a distinct right leg bias. The number of kicks and the difficulty of them is increased on the right compared to the left. However, having said that, up until mid colour belt level, the forms are pretty balanced in that whatever sequence is done on one side is done on the other too. It isn't until later one that the bias creeps in and by that stage the student is mature enough to make sure they drill the other side too?

I don't think lopsidedness is martial arts specific though. Its just human nature if you like. Most people aren't ambidextrous and rely on one side way too much. Often this'll get transferred over into their training so for instance, if they are right handed normally, their right arm and leg will be used much more because its just natural to do so. I struggle to do most things with my left hand and as a result I a much better and prefer to us my right hand for stuff. I have tried to work at balancing them out as to a certain extent you can teach yourself to become ambidextrous but its just to easy to fall back on my right arm.

Lopsidedness doesn't have to be a bad thing either. Look at Bill Superfoot Wallace.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've always worked both sides equally. Seems the natural thing to do. I'm a lefty who fights out of an orthidox stance most of the time. I train both shadow boxing and on the bag and make sure that attackers come into drills leading with either hand.

I value the dexterity and speed of the left lead compaired to the power I would have going southpaw. Doesn't mean I don't switch up to southpaw to give a different set of angles when I want to while sparring. Flexibility and adaptability are important so you can flow naturally to the next movement. All of this has come in handy after breaking/severaly injuring my left hand.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I try to train everything equally on both sides as much as possible. For the most part, I'm actually relatively capable of doing most techniques from either left or right. There are a couple of techniques that are a little harder for me to do from one side vs. the other, but for the most part, I can switch back and forth for most any technique without much problem.

When I studied Tai Chi, I spoke with a friend who was also studying it but in a different school. He told me how his sifu would also perform it as the mirror image. When my friend showed me what he was doing/imitating, I started to do the same. It actually made me more interested in the form I was practicing, and when I helped another student, I did it mirror image. Interestingly, my sifu never did do it that way.

My Soo Bahk Do teacher will do forms and even block and strike combos as the mirror image. So does her own teacher when she guest instructs us. It's often used for the children's classes more than for adults, but some adults rely on it to get started.

When we do one-step sparring exercises, they're done, say, first blocking with the left and striking with the right, etc., and then blocking with the right and then striking with the left, etc. I wish we did self-defense moves that way regularly; it's only if there's some free time, such as before class starts or at the end of the night, that we can practice mirror image moves. I believe it's because there's a pressure factor on her regarding getting so much in to meet testing requirements. That's why I think of "knowledge-based training"; it's something like this (do the mirror as well as the required) that might not be tested until you're seeking a promotion to dan level, but it's great to know before going that far in your studies.

Wouldn't it be great to know all (or selected) forms the mirror image way?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu