• advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Passed!

Very tired!

Back to class on Tuesday to, hopefully, start learning my next kata - Wankan.

Shawn,

Congrats and pretty soon....you won't be tired anymore....until next class.

Wankan? Wankan is your first kata once you've earned Shodan? Wow! In my stye, Wankan is an advanced Kata usually reserved for Yodan; minimum Dan rank to begin to learn it.

Again...CONGRATS!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks a lot you guys.

Yes, Wankan is the first kata you learn after you reach Sho-Dan in my school - I practice Shorin-Ryu Karate USA.

There is another Shorin-Ryu school around here that actually requires Wankan in order to test for Sho-Dan. In my school, you need Ananku, then you learn Wankan as well as Naihanchi Sandan after you reach Sho-Dan.

Shorin-Ryu Karate USA is pretty much that same as Matsubayashi Ryu...only slightly different. lol

I get confused with all the styles/schools.

The name of our style is really Ueshiro Shorin-Ryu which was brought to the US in 1962 by Ansei Ueshiro. However, my school split from the parent organization several years ago and took on it's own style name - Shorin-Ryu Karate USA Under the Direction of Grand Master Ansei Ueshiro. Or SRKUSAUDGMAU for short. lol

Shodan in Shorin-Ryu USA

again, what everyone else said. :D

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.