• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fear in the Dojo

WireFrame

Humility improves judgement. Confidence fosters courage. Humility and confidence are not mutually exclusive.

I dread getting cranked on the toes doing mea geri. Hurts like stink. Last time it happened it took me three months before completing the first move in Empi didn't make me see stars.

Ouch. I dislike Mae Geri and Mawashi Geri for the same reasons. Yoko Geri and Ushiro Geri on the other hand - lovely kicks!

I love all the kicks :)

my sensei didnt teach us Mikazuki Geri or Mawashi Geri yet though. Guess those ones must be higher belt kicks. not for white belts - or yellow belts I guess. (i only got a couple more weeks as a white belt - they want to have a grading before the end of Feb for us.) I really dont know. hey i can learn those kicks :(

So fear is about having an ego? So if I always had no fear (feeling awkward when i first started back in september because of trying new stuff isnt really fear, i wasnt AFRAID of anything, i just felt a clumsy because the moves were new to me then. so it dont count) does that mean I have just the right amount of humility then ?

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So fear is about having an ego? So if I always had no fear (feeling awkward when i first started back in september because of trying new stuff isnt really fear, i wasnt AFRAID of anything, i just felt a clumsy because the moves were new to me then. so it dont count) does that mean I have just the right amount of humility then ?

IMO, it is not about little fear you have, but how much-and how you deal with your ego's need to express it that fosters humility.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

<...> What I DO fear, is permanent damage. I have, lets just say not the strongest joints in the world. There's nothing I can do about it except use my muscles to control certain movements so I don't thow my limbs in such a way as to put extra pressure on my joints. So I'm wary of something causing permanent damage to a joint, especially my knees and hips. Listen to me haha, I'm only 26!

So, Fear in the Dojo - Discuss :)

Good thread! I would echo the above. Most pain we experience during training only last a few seconds, no biggie there. Tangible injuries on the other hand.....seriously bite. Do I fear an injury? Not really. I've had things broken before, know what it feels like, know my vulnerabilities and alter my style to mitigate further or re-injury of those areas.

Conversely, MA training has been instrumental in rehab from prior injuries. So, IMHO, the benefit outweighs the risk.

Ouch. I dislike Mae Geri and Mawashi Geri for the same reasons. Yoko Geri and Ushiro Geri on the other hand - lovely kicks!

I don't hesitate to use mae or mawashi so much during jyu kumite as I hate doing it during ippon and the like when my opponents know its coming. Some of them get all panicky and start swinging their blocks out blindy. That's when I'm more likely to take one on the toes. And some of them panicky types are kinda big, too. I been trying to take some consolation in the size of bruise I can inflict on their forearms. (give them a few of those and they start paying more attention to where and how they're making contact)

we all have our moments

Fear does not exist in this Dojo!!!!!! NO SENSEI!!!!!

sorry I could not resist.

Fear is a good thing it means you are human.

To me fear is a measure of heart, can you man up and face your fear.

it reminds me of another movie quote. The quote is from the last Rocky movie, you know geriatric rocky. When rocky is talking to his son he says "It not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you canhit and keep going forward."

You do not need to be flexible to do a Jodan (head kick), if your opponent is already on the ground.