• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Private Instruction

Hi all,

How do you feel about private instruction? Do you feel you learn more with better comprehension? I recently read that Bruce Lee felt that the best way to learn martial arts was through one on one training, much like a boxer and his trainer. This made a lot of sense to me.

I realize it private instruction is more expensive, and that you need to work with others in a class setting, but can private instruction help you learn more effeciently?

What are your experiences.

Thanx, Iggy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I personally think it depends on your level.

If I was beginning an art, I'd first choose group classes (for economic reasons among others). I would like to learn and be part of the group and interact with other students. that is how I learned Karate. Once in a while, I'd get a one-on-one class with my sensei and it would reinforce techniques; so you progress definitely much faster one on one!

I think higher levels (black belts and up) would benefit most from one on one instruction compared to lower levels. Personally, I find it intimidating.

Hmm. That's a good question. I've only done group classes, but our class is so small and has so many instructors that most of the time I get private instruction for at least half the class. It's a lot different than when I was in the kid's class which had 15-20 kids with usually only two instructors. In the kids class I could go on making the same mistakes for weeks on end before one of the instructors noticed it and then maybe I'd only get a quick correction before they had to concentrate on another kid. When I've got the instructor standing there staring at me while I do a kata several times, I get every little mistake pointed out every time with as much time as I need spent on correcting it. I'm improving a lot faster because of that, even if it is a little more nerve-wracking. I think if you want to improve a little faster or you have things you really want to work on but there's no time in class for or you feel like you're falling behind and need an extra push, it's worth it to pay for some private instruction every once and awhile. I don't think it's necessary, though.

Some one-to-one with your teacher is probably the best for advancement in your art, but a complement would be, whether or not it's your teacher, private training in something special that may not be part of the curriculum.

You may be in a striking art, but you have an interest in takedowns. Or in joint locks. You may be in a grappling art, but have an interest in striking. Perhaps you want to improve your sparring, and the intensity of individual attention by private instruction is just the ticket.

I think it should be remembered that practice is very important, and it may not be logical to have private instruction while performing numerous punches or kicks that can only be improved on by repetition. A small class setting with your teacher overseeing, perhaps with an assistant instructor participating with certain students who could use a bit of extra help, would likely be better than private lessons when it comes to certain aspects of training.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 1 month later...
Hmm. That's a good question. I've only done group classes, but our class is so small and has so many instructors that most of the time I get private instruction for at least half the class. It's a lot different than when I was in the kid's class which had 15-20 kids with usually only two instructors. In the kids class I could go on making the same mistakes for weeks on end before one of the instructors noticed it and then maybe I'd only get a quick correction before they had to concentrate on another kid. When I've got the instructor standing there staring at me while I do a kata several times, I get every little mistake pointed out every time with as much time as I need spent on correcting it. I'm improving a lot faster because of that, even if it is a little more nerve-wracking. I think if you want to improve a little faster or you have things you really want to work on but there's no time in class for or you feel like you're falling behind and need an extra push, it's worth it to pay for some private instruction every once and awhile. I don't think it's necessary, though.

I have thought about private instruction but after reading your post I think I may already receive adequate attention because we generally have small classes.

Believe it or not I've found some good instructional videos on youtube that helped me understanding kicking motion better.

I've done both group and private. My position within the Shindokan Hombu afforded me more special private lessons with my Dai-Soke, but, those special private lessons are now no longer available to me.

Speaking in general terms alone.

In the group setting; life long friends are made and the comradery between fellow students/instructor(s) can be awesome. Also, mistakes made during a group setting are either highlighted or well hidden in the sea of students. Group settings can make the class seem so impersonal, sometimes cold, where a student might feel ignored or at loss because the instructor might or might not see a mistake to correct or a solid performance to reward. A hand full of sand can be lonely because that one grain of sand is important to the whole, but, it can be overlooked. Please don't misunderstand me. There's, imho, more pros than cons in the group setting.

In the private setting; the 1:1 ratio is excellent. Nothing escapes the watchful eye of an instructor because it's just ONE student and ONE instructor during class. This individual attention is paramount to the growth of the student, no matter the rank.

Key to both setting, imho, is the instructor(s). If the instructor(s) is/are solid across the board, then both settings are great. But, if an instructor is better in the private setting, then don't take group lessons with that instructor, and vice versa.

Of course, money is the driving force in which setting to join, and in that, private lessons can cost an arm and a leg. Some schools only offer group classes for that reason alone.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Private lessons are great, but I think they're best used as a supplement to group classes. They give you the opportunity to work on specific areas that you either may be having trouble with, or areas you just want to dig deeper into and learn more about and practice more. However, group classes give you the opportunity to work with different people, and exposes you to how different people fight and react. So they both have their benefits.

Never had a private lesson, ever. Don't know whether that's put me at a disadvantage really. My instructor's pretty good in that he makes sure he gets a look at what everyone's doing and pulls people up in front of the class individually. Obviously though its hard to keep an eye on everyone and give everyone the attention they need. He does offer private instruction and the people that want/need it can have a lesson.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Never had a private lesson, ever. Don't know whether that's put me at a disadvantage really. My instructor's pretty good in that he makes sure he gets a look at what everyone's doing and pulls people up in front of the class individually. Obviously though its hard to keep an eye on everyone and give everyone the attention they need. He does offer private instruction and the people that want/need it can have a lesson.

The key for you, imho, is that your instructor is "pretty good" across the board. Therefore, I believe that you're not at a disadvantage because you've never had a private lesson.

I imagine that I'd love to have a private lesson from Nishiyama or Kanazawa, to name a few, but, being in a group lesson with either of those two would've still provided me a very solid lesson.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The thing about private lessons is that a great majority of martial artists are used to teaching only in groups, not to individuals. Private lessons with them will be less than helpful. There's a notable exception in many professional sport arts, which tend to have a strong tradition of one-on-one learning- boxing's fighter-trainer relationship is a good example here.