• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Complementing Shotokan

Fearun9033

I've done judo to supplement my TKD and it was a good choice. Judo can help in clinch work and on the ground. At my judo club it is about 50/50 on standing throws and ground work. My TKD is the ITF TKD which allows hands to the head and my hands are better then my kicks. I would recommend a grappling base for additional crosstraining to supplement to your Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense but choking someone out isn't that nice either. And more often than not you might not be able to get into a position to do that.

It's been my experience that one doesn't have to do much to get someone in a choking position. Why? They usually end up getting themselves in that position all by themselves while they're trying to escape/reverse from some other hold and the like...and WHAM...all of a sudden...they end up in a choke. Still, you're right, getting someone in a choking position by ones own self isn't that easy because they just won't be still....how rude! LOL!

:)

I admit I know very little grappling but surely the probability of a choke is not that much greater than any other hold. It'll depend on the situation and how everything plays out. Maybe in once case an armbar might be more appropriate or a leg lock or something. Its like when people say that they'll always end the fight by kicking them in the groin. Not always going to work or be possible. I wouldn't rely on it as the safer option either as Fearun seemed to suggest. Making someone unconcious has the potential to go very wrong (just as any sort of strike can). Especially given that a lot of fights are alcohol related, potential of them choking on themselves and of course if you are intoxicated too can you really trust your judgement to release as soon as they're out?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I went to a friend's judo dojo for like a class or two and he taught me some stuff. It was pretty interesting and I definitely find it useful! I mean, learning how to fall sounds stupid, but it's the difference between a smooth landing + retaliation, and a fall on your butt and a broken coccyx.

Although most grappling techniques are not allowed during Shotokan competition, I found myself better leg sweeps and anticipating/grabbing my opponents' kicks. So I think Judo does complement well Shotokan! I still never tried BJJ though.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys!