Fearun9033

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just started Judo about a month and a half ago to compliment my Shotokan, and so far I think that it is a very good compliment. Since Shotokan has pretty much no clinch or groundwork, Judo fills that gap nicely. I might just be lucky and go to a good dojo but at my dojo we do about 50/50 ground (newaza) and standing (tachiwaza), and, contrary to popular belief, the groundwork is definitely more than enough for self defense, with pins, chokes, and armlocks, if you're interested in that.

Well I just started Judo about a month and a half ago to compliment my Shotokan, and so far I think that it is a very good compliment. Since Shotokan has pretty much no clinch or groundwork, Judo fills that gap nicely. I might just be lucky and go to a good dojo but at my dojo we do about 50/50 ground (newaza) and standing (tachiwaza), and, contrary to popular belief, the groundwork is definitely more than enough for self defense, with pins, chokes, and armlocks, if you're interested in that.

I was just leaning towards Jiujitsu or Judo for the ground-based combat form. This I think will fill the gap nicely. I mean the worst nightmare for me would be to fall on my behind during a fight and be unable to properly retaliate. Or, for example, after sending an assailant to the floor and asking that person to stay on the floor (for example if I am being mugged and I called the cops). If the person refuses to stay down and wants to get up again, I would not know what to do (besides curbstomping that person, but that would be too much violence). I think a submission choke would do nicely.

Thanks for your addition!

If the person refuses to stay down and wants to get up again, I would not know what to do (besides curbstomping that person, but that would be too much violence). I think a submission choke would do nicely.

No offense but choking someone out isn't that nice either. And more often than not you might not be able to get into a position to do that. I don't think grappling would necessarily be the nicer option compared to kicking them when they're down. Ultimately any joint locks could end up as breaks and dislocations if you really want to stop the guy from getting up again.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Although I have to admit although the concept seems fun and extremely useful, I'm not too anxious to get some big sweaty, hairy old guy wrapping his legs around my neck with his crotch in my face. Ewww. That aspect of BJJ kinda scares me away a bit...

ROFL !!!! :lol:

Chitsu, I'll grant you, that's an excellet display of traditional karate. Impressive in an of itself, espicially the snipits of some of the older guard of the arts. However, I don't see how it makes the arguement that any single art, Shotokan included, can't make good use of supplimental training.

The popular example is always the ground fight, so I'll touch on it. Again, lots of arts have takedowns in their arsenal at some point to some degree. But none outside of ground specific arts truely give the practitioner a comfort in that particular range. This is true of the clips in the video as well.

On a different front, consider weapons training. If one is in the arts for sd purposes, then one has to consider the modern use and defense of knives and guns. Again, very few trad schools will accurately and completely touch on these. It's not a slam, just an area that one will have to go outside one's structure to obtain proficiency in.

I'd argue once that's achived, one should bring it back and integrate it into what they are doing for the next generation. Not making them experts perhaps, but giving them an understanding that is realistic in nature and a comfort with the items we're talking about.

If there were no holes in any art, why did Machedia also train extensively in BJJ? To a black belt level I believe as well.

Looka t what your doing realistically and comparing that to what you want out of ma study can really help you figure out what you need to cross train in. That might not mean giving up what your doing, but expanding your available wepaons by cross training.

No offense but choking someone out isn't that nice either. And more often than not you might not be able to get into a position to do that.

It's been my experience that one doesn't have to do much to get someone in a choking position. Why? They usually end up getting themselves in that position all by themselves while they're trying to escape/reverse from some other hold and the like...and WHAM...all of a sudden...they end up in a choke. Still, you're right, getting someone in a choking position by ones own self isn't that easy because they just won't be still....how rude! LOL!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!