• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

would like help with front thrust kick (mae geri kekomi)

Blade96

I can do other kicks all right but I'm not doing this one pretty good.

My shodan says its cause i'm not moving my hips forwards the right way. I'm wondering though, when i do one, do I also push with the back leg and move hips forward or is it just power generated from the hips and back leg dont have much to do with it?

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Describe your issue more clearly. What problem does your poor form create- lack of balance when throwing the kick, lack of power, slowness in bringing the kick out, slowness in returning to stance, a pushing kick rather than an impactful one?

Also, you are talking about a front kick with the rear leg, right?

Describe your issue more clearly. What problem does your poor form create- lack of balance when throwing the kick, lack of power, slowness in bringing the kick out, slowness in returning to stance, a pushing kick rather than an impactful one?

Also, you are talking about a front kick with the rear leg, right?

well my shodan said i dont move forward enough. my hips dont move forwards and my pelvis dont move. and he said he thinks im afraid of hitting him i dont want to actually kick and hurt the poor fellow its just in the dojo and not competition but thats what he said. and ya, rear leg.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

First of all, remember that old karate chestnut about hitting through, and not at, your target. If you're thinking of just getting to the chest or head, you'll glance off with barely any damage done- imagine kicking at a spot six to nine inches behind your real target.

Second, try throwing front kicks and allowing them to carry you forwards in stance rather than practicing them in place. If you throw a back leg front kick, then have to use the kicking leg as your new front leg, it just about forces you to have proper hip involvement.

Third, try practicing your front kick with someone holding a pad in front of you. That will help you in this matter as well.

Not so sure about the Karate way of doing these kicks but for my style... Get your knee as high as possible during the chamber. This allows you to drive forward and down to a certain extent and to push the target.

With the hips, try to think about them moving through a 90° arc. Its not strictly what you're supposed to do but it will help you coordinate your pelvis with the leg. When kicking with the right leg the hip is pointing 45° to the back. As the leg move forwards and the knee lifts, the right hip comes through to level with the left. And as you extend and push out, the left leg drives and the right hip goes through to 45° to the front. You've got to use the hips and incorporate the upper body mass otherwise you wont be pushing anyone anywhere. Make sure you don't lean back either, keep the weight central or with a slight forward lean.

Great way to practice is get a heavy bag and do the kicks against that. You want to get it swinging rather than creating an impact.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Trying leading with the hip. Have the kick strike the target as the hip ends its movement. Remember to have you back foot firmly planted on the ground so you do become unbalanced. I had almost the same problem and this seemed to correct it and generate a lot more power hitting the focus pad.

It’s all about forward inertia + correct use of the adductor muscle group.

TBH, some things are impossible to explain over the either. Your instructor has to see, feel and sense your movement (or lack of it).

Chitsu

look at the moon, not my finger.

I'll try that. Maybe I'll have to actually kick my shodan to get that thrust forward I dont have.

I did it all right against a wall when i tried it later.

If you don't mind me saying, you have a very unique way to refer to your instructor.

"My Shodan" seems odd to me.

Chitsu

i know. But i dont know what else to call him. i could say my black belt, or my shodan, because he is 1st degree black belt. Our sensei assigned him to teach me this kick. Also had a nidan helping me with it too. So that's how I refer to them - by their degree of BB. Except for our Sempai, who i just call Sempai.