• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings!

Fearun9033

Hello everyone! =)

I'm new to this forum so I just wanted to say hi. Let me give a little detail about myself. I'm from Montreal, Canada. I've trained in Shotokan karate for 2 1/2 years now and just recently got my blue belt. I haven't tried any other style of martial art yet.

I hope to see everyone around the forum =)

Have a good day.

- Fearun

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Good to see you around.

By the way, different offshoots of Shotokan have different belt colors- you're, what, 4th kyu?

True, I forgot about that. I'm 5th kyu. My dojo uses blue belt for 5th and 4th and brown for 3rd, 2nd and 1st kyu.

I've always been meaning to ask, which belt color system is the "real" one? I know that traditionally, there were only white and black and so on, but I get confused when some dojos have red, purple and whatnot.

btw, Thank you everyone for their warm welcome! =) Hope to see all around.

-Fearun

Good to see you around.

By the way, different offshoots of Shotokan have different belt colors- you're, what, 4th kyu?

True, I forgot about that. I'm 5th kyu. My dojo uses blue belt for 5th and 4th and brown for 3rd, 2nd and 1st kyu.

I've always been meaning to ask, which belt color system is the "real" one? I know that traditionally, there were only white and black and so on, but I get confused when some dojos have red, purple and whatnot.

There isn't a 'real' progression of belts. When Jigoro Kano introduced them in the thirties, he just had white for kyu ranks and black for dan ranks, and later brown for higher kyu ranks. Colored belts for each individual kyu rank came from Europe in the 1950s, and there was never a time when they were fully standardized.