• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An introduction

jdoub

To all:

I have involved in the study of Martial Arts for over 25 years. I have been teaching both Classical Karate (with an emphasis on Okinawan techniques) and Yang Style Tai Chi Ch'uan since 1983. I am the Headmaster (i.e. - Chief Instructor, Shihan, or Dean) of Heiwa-Ryu Martial Arts Academy. I will state that I am 5th Degree Black Belt (Godan) in my style. While that may sound impressive to some, I would ask that everyone take into consideration that I am a nobody from an unknown style in a small city in a big world of Martial Arts. I come before you "virtually" with only my experience to speak for itself and the system that I represent. I have been exposed to over 9 years of combative experience both in and out of the US Armed Forces; having serving over 16 years in the US Army Infantry. I view those years of actual street fighting as an acid test to my way of thinking and teaching.

I would encourage everyone to visit my web site (URL provided below) to get a greater understanding of both Heiwa-Ryu and myself. It may provide a better perspective when reading my posts. Should anyone have questions, please feel free to email me directly or post replies. I will not respond to posts of "my style is better than your style" or "my sensei is better than your sensei" since I feel they are pointless. A person makes the style; the style cannot make the person. Above all, I am posting my opinions which are just as valid as anyone else's.

"Paper cannot refuse ink..."

Regards,

John

John E. Doub, Jr.

Heiwa-Ryu Martial Arts Academy

http://www.heiwa-ryu.org

mailto:jdjr@heiwa-ryu.org

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You are the first real "professional" to join our website, which is great. :smile:

I sent you an e-mail (not the one with the username and password) a couple of days ago, did you recieve it?

Pratrick-san,

I did get your email. The Martial Arts are a way of living my life, so I have got a full-time job that supports my Lifestyle pursuit. I will get back to you.

Remember, I am a nobody and Heiwa-Ryu is not known anywhere outside of my students and my web site.

The combination of both youth and genuine interst is a great beginning for this forum.

John

John E. Doub, Jr.

On 2001-05-31 01:26, jdoub wrote:

Pratrick-san,

I did get your email. The Martial Arts are a way of living my life, so I have got a full-time job that supports my Lifestyle pursuit. I will get back to you.

Remember, I am a nobody and Heiwa-Ryu is not known anywhere outside of my students and my web site.

The combination of both youth and genuine interst is a great beginning for this forum.

John

Thank you for responding.

jdoub, do you consider yours a one of the styles of martial arts that is meant more to teach 'applied' knowledge (knowledge that will 'enable' you to 'hold your own' in a fight) or more a type that works on technique, control, points, etc.? Neither is bad and neither is necessarily 'good' each has there own points, just wondering.

Sincerely,

James Dasher

http://jamesdasher@dashermarketing.com

http://www.dashermarketing.com

[ This Message was edited by: jamesdasher on 2001-05-31 18:15 ]

James-san,

Thanks for asking the question.

Originally posted by jamesdasher:

do you consider yours a one of the styles of martial arts that is meant more to teach

'applied' knowledge or more a type that works on technique, control, points, etc.?

As I have previously stated, I teach both a Classical style of Karate and Yang Style Tai Chi Ch'uan. My thought is that 'Classical' Martial Arts were developed out of knowledge amassed from Combat experience, Human Physiology, and 'applied' learning. A technique from a kata may be mapping the correct angle and direction for one to strike a cavity (pressure point) or how to twist an attacker's finger, hand, or wrist to render them ineffective - or even set them up for a more devastating strike. :mad:

I do not teach 'point' fighting. I teach the kata and how they were intended to be applied in a potentially life threatening situation.

Originally posted by jamesdasher:

Neither is bad and neither is necessarily 'good' each has there own points, just wondering.

OSU!! Neither are bad by design. What is the intent of the teacher and the desire of the student. A person that studies a Sport will most likely suffer at the hands of a mugger and a Classical Karateka will probably not go home with the sparring trophy.:wink:

Sports have rules to prevent serious injury, but combat is about survival.:sad:

Just my 2 dollars worth.

Talk with you later!!

John

John E. Doub, Jr.

A godan. Wow.

Welcome, shihan. Teach us.

"There is no nobility in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility is being superior to your former self."

Thom Yorke

"When a man tries to see into the distance, what does he do? He narrows his eyes."

Lady Miyako, Akira #20

jadaub; you seem to have great insight and knowledge in your martial art. welcome to this forum and i anticipate your input and insight to those topics you choose to respond to.

with humble regards

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson